• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Number 39

Mossg I can't remember but if it terminated at Aston Church where would it have turned round to go back to town. There was only one stop after that before the Witton.

Hi Jean,wasn't there a cut out in front of the park gates where they turned?and im sure there was a Bundy clock by the church wall.Moss.

Hi mossg: The #39 terminus coming from town was outside the Aston Hotel. When the passengers alighted the bus went around Witton Circle and back to it's spot just up from where the Transportation Museum is now. There was a Bundy Clock at this stop only.
I caught this bus hundreds of times. I can't ever remember a Bundy clock one stop down from the main starting bus stop.
I don't remember seeing Aston Church on the blind of the buses but I might be wrong.

Moss Jennyann I am racking my brain and as I came flying down the steep hill in the park many a time on my roller skates and ended up the other side of the road I am sure I would have remembered one or crashed into it. I do remember a pole I used to grab onto if I was quick enough. Pete can't remember one either but there was a bit of a cut out the park side Mossg. Jean.

Witton was always the terminus for the 39 as with the 3x tram. The only reason I can think of for the 39A turning round at Aston Park/Holte Hotel/Aston Church would be for Villa supporters leaving a game early because they were losing!! The only other place a 39 could turn around would have been at the clock at Aston Cross. Do you remember the 39 coming down Park Road hill past Ansells brewery, turning left in front of the clock then turning right onto a little piece of Lichfield Road up to the lights at Rocky Lane?

Hi Dave: Yes, I remember the stop at Ansells Brewery and the turn on to Lichfield Road /Aston Cross and then up Aston Road North. I never saw a 39 turn at Aston Cross.

Hi Dave: Yes, I remember the stop at Ansells Brewery and the turn on to Lichfield Road /Aston Cross and then up Aston Road North. I never saw a 39 turn at Aston Cross.

Hi Jennyann,
Neither did I, I only remarked that its the only place to turn other than Aston Park. I don't actually remember a 39A bus for that matter.:thumbsup:

Hi Dave: I have to say I never saw a 39A either. I expect if buses broke down along their route as they must have and still do. If they still had some power and were able to reach the garage, Aston Cross would have been a doable turn around on the 39 route...another one would have been Dartmouth Street. I can remember being on a couple of buses that broke down but the other side to this story was not reading the destination blind well enough and suddenly finding the bus emptying out before you got to where you were going!!

Back