• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Norton Inn Erdington

Probably was, you never forgot Ada, very loud. She stopped working behind the bar in her later years but was allways in there for a drink, that would have been in the 70,s. I think she passed away late 70,s early 80,s.

Here you are Frothy, a nice image of The Norton in its Heyday.

Phil

ErdingtonKingsburyRdTheNorton.jpg
Is this picture still available for viewing? My grandparents ran the pub and my Mother and her brothers lived there, as well.

Hi and welcome to Birmingham History Forum. Member Phil is no longer with us so the Photo Bucket account would have now expired. I am sure some of the other members will have a photo. For the time being, here is one taken prior to demolition.

The Norton.jpg

Hi and welcome to Birmingham History Forum. Member Phil is no longer with us so the Photo Bucket account would have now expired. I am sure some of the other members will have a photo. For the time being, here is one taken prior to demolition.

View attachment 156769
I'm very sorry about Phil. I just lost my Mom in February....trying to find pieces of her life at The Norton. Thank you for your kind help ♥

My partners Grandad used to run the pub in the 1930s. Her dad was evacuated to Wales with his sister. Their last name was Gardener. He remembers everyone coming in to the pub after a shift from the HP factory

I can only ever remember Horace Stokes as the landlord of the Norton in the early '70's- I am sure he was there in the '60's as I remember him catching me nicking books from a jumble sale in the gardens about then. in the late '70's somebody else took over, but I can't remember his name. Probably a good job you declined the drinks- he might have bought you a couple, then gone out and pinched your motor!
Yes it was Horace Stokes and his wife Mary when I worked there in the 70's, he was a nice bloke, used to be in the military, very smart man.

Back