• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Norton Inn Erdington

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
The Norton. My favourite pub, in it's hay days:)
And just before it was demolished to make way for a Lidl store:cry:

Attachments

• Erdington The Norton.jpg
    Erdington The Norton.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
hi froth good mornining to you
how long as that norton been demolished
yes it was a real hum dinger of a pub many years ago in its hay
day . it must have been the seventies the rot started to
settle in there , our kid used to used that pub in the fifties
he used to live in pype hayes rd right up until the clearance
of the area he worked down bagot street at the midland dairy all is life and then retired and put out to pasture
he still ives local up padmore rd along with another sister -inlaw of mine she lives at the juction of padmore
i beleive many years ago there has beenmany a shooting and stabbing during the latter part of the norton history ;
have a nice day froth ; best wishes astonian ;;

hi froth good mornining to you
how long as that norton been demolished
yes it was a real hum dinger of a pub many years ago in its hay
day . it must have been the seventies the rot started to
settle in there , our kid used to used that pub in the fifties
he used to live in pype hayes rd right up until the clearance
of the area he worked down bagot street at the midland dairy all is life and then retired and put out to pasture
he still ives local up padmore rd along with another sister -inlaw of mine she lives at the juction of padmore
i beleive many years ago there has beenmany a shooting and stabbing during the latter part of the norton history ;
have a nice day froth ; best wishes astonian ;;

The Norton as been gone for about 3 or 4 years Astonian, I think:rolleyes:
Nice photos of the Navi Brian.

My late father in law worked as a gardener for the breweries including looking after the bowling greens which a number of pubs had (before they became car parks) and I think the Norton was one of them, we are talking 1930s to 1950s, can,t check with him he died in 1986 aged 86.... Eric

My late father in law worked as a gardener for the breweries including looking after the bowling greens which a number of pubs had (before they became car parks) and I think the Norton was one of them, we are talking 1930s to 1950s, can,t check with him he died in 1986 aged 86.... Eric

It had a nice green Eric. Brian could tell you more about it

Some time in the early seventies I was driving back from London and gave a lift to a hitch-hiker on the A45 (I often gave lifts in those days; today - never!). This bloke asked if I was going anywhere near Tyburn Road, which I was, and if I could drop him off at The Norton. He said he was the manager, and his car had conked out while he too was on his way back from London. All I can recall of him was that his name was Ken, and he was one hard-looking character, but good company. When we got to The Norton he asked if I'd like to come in 'for a few', but I declined....

Big Gee

Here you are Frothy, a nice image of The Norton in its Heyday.

Phil

Erdington Kingsbury Rd The Norton.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Some time in the early seventies I was driving back from London and gave a lift to a hitch-hiker on the A45 (I often gave lifts in those days; today - never!). This bloke asked if I was going anywhere near Tyburn Road, which I was, and if I could drop him off at The Norton. He said he was the manager, and his car had conked out while he too was on his way back from London. All I can recall of him was that his name was Ken, and he was one hard-looking character, but good company. When we got to The Norton he asked if I'd like to come in 'for a few', but I declined....

Big Gee

I can only ever remember Horace Stokes as the landlord of the Norton in the early '70's- I am sure he was there in the '60's as I remember him catching me nicking books from a jumble sale in the gardens about then. in the late '70's somebody else took over, but I can't remember his name. Probably a good job you declined the drinks- he might have bought you a couple, then gone out and pinched your motor!

Your probably right Harry But when Eric was asking for colours so he could paint it, I for one couldn't think of the door colour so I think blue was settled on

The last few years I used the place the doors were red, but weren't they also a natural dark wood, well varnished at one time?

The doors were definitely blue at one point, my "Aunty" Dot worked in Braggs just round the corner and we used to wait for her by the Noton - that would have been early 70's
Sue

Am I correct in thinking that someone was murdered in the Norton? Presumably during a fight?

In the late 1960's I was driving back from London one evening along the old A41 and I picked up a hitch-hiker (as we did back then). This guy's car had conked out somewhere around Banbury I think and he wanted to get to Brum. It turned out he was the gaffer of The Norton, where I dropped him off and had a quick one with him. He seemed an okay kind of bloke, but not someone I'd argue with.

G

My Grandfather had a builders yard just across the road, behind the Bank building. I did go to the Norton occasionally. had a Girlfriend who lived just up the road in 1978. It had been quite a notable 'Pub in the early days of the 20th Century. The B'ham M'Cycle Clubs Road Trials used to start from here, and many of the Works Motorcycle Testers used it as an R/V. Like many large 'Pubs in B'ham its gone now, with little or no trace of its existence left. I noticed in the 90s how many such, like the Hobmoor, the Mackadown, etc were going, as a Corporate Monster took over the Pub Trade.
I must say that the LIDl there now is very useful to local residents. Another local story you may wish to research is how the old Concrete houses locally were emptied and demolished, many against their owners/tenants wishes.

HI BIG GEE
Yes you are correct ;some one got murdered there the pub had a history of trouble and it became what we called a pub of chequerd history
with brawling and smashing the place up so eventualy the brewery installed door men ;and a crew was asigned to it '
but years later it happenmend again ; and that was enough the police and licences was provoked and moved to close it permantly
on orders to the licenceing board by the police ; on the subject of the hobmoor it later became abit of a yobs pub ; and local familys hopped
for the hay mills social family club run by a local lad a man named sqizzer whom at one time was the shop steward at the rover in bordesly
came out and ran the club for donkeys years he died about three years back after his death of his wife mavis a lovely lady
whom died about two year prior ; best wishes astonian;;

Hiya Alan,

I never knew about the murder, but a friend of mine who lived somewhere off the Tyburn Road until a few years ago told me about it when we were chewing the fat the other night. The only time I ever went in was when I picked up the gaffer, as per my previous post, and it looked a little on the rough side, shall we say. Only recently I nipped into Lidl where The Norton was, for a few bits and pieces, and I remembered that night from 45 years ago. Strange really, because when I first embarked upon my career as a Noble Knight Of The Pulled Pint, I drank in and around Summer Lane, and don't remember a whiff of trouble (except during darts matches, which is understandable).

Take good care,

G

Back