• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

THE NOOK PUB BIRMINGHAM

Slowjet

Brummie babby
I’m just wondering if any one has any information or pictures on a pub that was called the Nook back in the 40’s. My mother was an English war bride and her and her sister spent some time in Birmingham during 1943 and 1944 and had many fond memories. She’s in her late 90’s and I would like to see if I can find some pictures

hi slowjet and welcome...do you know where in birmingham the nook pub was...its a new one to me...i have altered the title of the thread to include the name of the pub

lyn

I wonder if it was a "local" name for a pub as I can't see a pub of that name in the 1940 directory nor in phone books of that date.

I found a name that may have been connected. I searched up in Kelly’s directory an address she thought it was and I believe there was a James Price that may have been the govenor there. And in that directory it list The Nook on Court Oak Road, Harborne if that helps

The Kelly’s directory I am looking at isnt a specific year but I believe it starts with 1908. I found the road on page 93 but nothing further

I think that is the name of a private house not a pub. Most of big houses in that road have names not numbers. At least it is in the 1908 Kelly's.

that funny because I found a picture and it says The Nook Pub and Nook Brewhouse. It looks like James Price was the brewer? I tried to attach this photo but I’m useless and says it too large. When I looked up James Price in the Kelly book it lists the Nook. I believe page 93?

hi slowjet as morturn has said he has sent you his email via our private message system...look forward to seeing the photo you have

lyn

thanks pedro as janice said it looks like the nook could have been a private house not a pub

lyn

In 1908 Kelly's as referred to in post #8 and 11 the entry is on page 93. Looks as if The Nook and The Nest might be adjacent properties
1618818131390.png

By 1915 they have been numbered but the same two gentlemen live there.
1618818262841.png

In 1940 (the last directory I can access on Ancestry
1618818496079.png

Last edited:
Looks as if they lived there from at least 1901 as the rates book shows this entry for Court Oak Road and clearly listed as "house"
1618818628662.png

1911 census lists James as a traveller in precious stones.
He died in 1939 and Harriet died in 1949 with her address being 143 Court Oak Road. We need a map to confirm that The Nook and The Nest became 141 and 143.

just looked in my book of old harborne photos sadly none of the mentioned buildings...the only photo of court oak road is taken circa 1905 taken from the corner of woodville road looking down court oak road which shows victorian houses on the left and on the right the harborne collegiate school

I am wondering if The Nook was a house the lady visited/stayed at with a friend. Has she confused it with the name of a nearby pub?

Back