• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Non-famous Music Scene In Birmingham

This version of the Modernaires played rock 'n roll,they were not a jazz band.The lead singer,Mickey Bakewell was on a Midlands TV news programme,sometime last year,to listen to some tapes from the 60's of the band that had been discovered in someone's attic !

I will see if I can find it on here Mickymoo. Amazing what you find in attics. Not sure what 'my' Modernaires are, jazz or rock and roll?

The name "Modernaires" is used quite often for musical groups, so it will cause a lot of confusion. The Modernaires mentioned by John Crump (ex pat) was dissolved in the 1950's. I know, I was part of that group. Colin Willets (piano) went on to play around the Birmingham area, Ric (Mack) McGlennon (trumpet) went on to play around the UK (Liverpool, Norwich, Manchester, Scunthorpe, Margate) before returning to "Brum" and forming the Rick Lennon Band. I (drums) went off to play around the world, and John (alto sax) migrated to the USA to try his luck on the music scene in the States. I have no idea of what became of Robin (bass player).However it is good to read about other groups using the same name.

Two versions of the Moderaires in what looks to be two different era's. The early version at the Tyburn House and the later one at The Mackadown.

Attachments

• Modernaires.JPG
    Modernaires.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Sheldon  Mackadown Mackadown Lane modernaires 1969.JPG
    Sheldon Mackadown Mackadown Lane modernaires 1969.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 44
I thought Brian Sharpe (Drummer) ran the Hi-Bris Dancing School in Shirley?

I think I met him last Christmas.

Earlswood Garden Centre (in Solihull) ran a Christmas Fayre during November/December 2013 and Brian was doing the DJing and announcements there.

He was also selling a book about Birmingham Rock bands in the 1950s and 1960s (did he write one?).

I did not grow up in Birmingham but have a lot of interest about 1960s pop bands so we chatted for quite a while about 1960s pop music.

He has sold the Hi Bris and is no longer allowed to use the name, but does still run a disco for "older" people (but not allowed to call it Hi Bris disco)

You can read a little about him here

https://www.encore-academy.co.uk/#!our-patrons

I use to play and had a band 'The Modernaires' Played in the early 1950s all the local pubs around Yardley and Small heath. The Irish club was one place we had lots fun at, Arthur Ashworth who lived in Sheldon was our manager. Mac on trumpet,Ted Haines on drums Robing Kendall on base Johnny Headford on Guitar and Colin Willetts on Piano, Colin went on to play with some of the best in the business, I left for the USA in 1957 to try get into the band biz there, but the union in the USA would not let a non Citizen in. Lots of good memories. John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Colorado USA
Hello Oldbrit..... at 15/16 I was in a band called "The Millionaires" who did the same club circuit as you, we left the club scene approx 2 years later when we got a calling from Mecca to do the :Tower Ballroom" Edgbaston as the resident band.

ZoomButt.gif

Hi I am interested in contacting members of The Modernaires band. The dad of a friend of mine apparently played the drums on one of their tracks. His name is John Thomas and he celebrates his 80th birthday in June. I wonder if any of the band members remember him or the track which is something like "crazy beeps"?
It would mean a lot to her not to mention her dad if I could have this verified.
Many Thanks in advance

I have been trying to find out about my grandad (who i never met as he died in 1961 before I was born) who used to work in Kalamazoo factory in Birmingham and also was a musician and played in a band, we think piano, but Mom can't remember clearly as he left when she was just 4 or 5, but still lived locally for a while. I don't have any photos of him, neither does Mom, and I would love to find out if anyone can remember him playing anywhere, or if indeed anyone can remember him at all! Leonard Wicks. Born 1908, possibly played in bands in the 30's 40s' or 50s. Sadly died age just 54. Would be wonderful if someone could remember him so I could tell Mom! Thank you xxx

The Modernaires I saw perform in Coventry and I am going back a bit, maybe 20 years, sang in the shopping mall called West Orchards. The band singer was Shirley Gardiner who my partner knew from having lead parts in the local musical amdram societies, in the West Midland and Warwickshire. Some of the performers in these came from Brum, like Bob (Shuff) Shufflebotham.

Back