• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The No.14 bus

JOJ184

proper brummie kid
In connection with a current project, I am trying to find out the PRECISE wording displayed on the destination blinds of the buses working the 14 group of routes during the mid-late 1950s
The following are confirmed:

14 TILE CROSS ESTATE
via KITTS GREEN

14A GOSTA GREEN

14D CROSSFIELD ROAD
KITTS GREEN ROAD

14E KITTS GREEN
LEA VILLAGE

Can anyone help me with 14B and 14C ?

Many thanks in advance, Dave :)

Nechells Place 14B
Saltley Road

Mackadown Lane 14F
St. Giles Road

Meadway 14J
Kitts Green Road

NS 14 - destination details not known at present.

Incidentally early blinds 1933 until after WW2 often displayed 14 Glebe Farm

PS: The info given is based on photographic evidence.

Is this of any use?

Attachments

• Number 14 Service.JPG
    Number 14 Service.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 57
Absolutely brilliant, thanks a million for that! Now you've raised another question in my mind..... if there was a 14J then in theory at least there must probably have been a 14G and 14H. But no matter, if there was then probably someone will mention it sooner or later!
Thanks again, Dave

Thanks for that, Phil. As an aside I wonder if you can remember the Ultimate ticket machines, did they contain 5 values or 6. I seem to think they held six different valued ticket rolls, but someone I was talking with recently seems to think that the Birmingham Ultimate machines held only five.
Thanks again, Dave

In the book "Birmingham Buses-Route by Route 1925-1975" by Malcolm Keeley, it says "although the (14) service was extended to Tile Cross in 1949, short workings to the previous terminus at Lea Village remained numerous, carrying 14B until renumbering to 14E in April 1955 and 14H in February 1967." No actual mention of a 14G but I guess that there was one. Dave.

Just wondered if this is any help to you:-
The 14 began on the 13-12-33 as a feeder service to the Alum Rock tram (8) from Pelham Road to Stud lane.
It was extended 11-04-34 to Swancote road (Glebe Farm) as service 14A
Extended from Alum Rock to City 13-10-37
Extended (with a slight diversion) to Kitt's Green Lea Village as service 14B 21-09-38
Extended to Tile Cross as service 14 on 14-08-55.
Basically the 14A and 14B were route extensions rather than short workings
Tile Cross estate via Kitts Green 14
Glebe Farm Road 14A
Kitts Green Lea village 14B
These were re-numbered in 1955 (on the opening of Lea Hall Garage to which the 14 was transfered) thus:-
Gosta Green 14A
Nechells Place / Saltley Road 14B
Belchers Lane / Alum Rock Road 14C
Glebe Farm Road / Kitts Green Road (un-numbered)
Crossfield Road / Kitts Green Road 14D
Kitts Green / Lea Village 14E
Mackadown Lane / St. Giles Road 14F
N.S. 14 Glebe Farm / Lea Village (curious the night service had Glebe Farm and not Kitts Green!)
(It is possible that earlier pre Lea Hall blinds had N-S 14 Glebe Farm Lea Village 6D. fares only but I have no photographic proof)
(a photograph of a wartime blind - 1940- shows Glebe Farm 14!)
The 14 was re-numbered again in 1966 :-
Lancaster Place (un-numbered)
Gosta Green 14A
Nechells Place / Saltley Road 14B
Saltley / Gate Inn 14C
Highfield Road / Alum Rock Road (un-numbered)
Sladefield Road / Alum Rock Road 14D
Cotterills Lane / Burney Lane 14E
Crossfield Road / Kitts Green Road 14F
Kitts Green / Lea Village 14H
Meadway / Kitts Green Road 14J
N.S. 14 Tile Cross Estate
This lasted until 3rd August 1975 when all short workings were given the suffix "E"
There was a Limited Stop service in the late 50's that was short lived but it was a 99 and not 14X
Also for a couple of months in 1967 there was a route deviant of the 14 that branched off at the Meadway and ran to
Shirestone Road as a number 23 but this was replaced by the extension of the 53 from Stechford.
Hope this is useful
Roland.

Thanks for that, Phil. As an aside I wonder if you can remember the Ultimate ticket machines, did they contain 5 values or 6. I seem to think they held six different valued ticket rolls, but someone I was talking with recently seems to think that the Birmingham Ultimate machines held only five.
Thanks again, Dave

Hi Dave, the Birmingham Ultimate machines were 5 roll machines. Wolverhampton used them as well as did many operators outside the West Midlands.

Cheers

Simon

Birmingham used the "5 barrel " ultimate machines. Originally on certain tram services in 1950. Washwood Heath routes? - Memory fail someone will tell us!

Just pinched this off Facebook, sorry no dates. Lea Hall bus depot.

Attachments

• 14915725_10211642527362846_2881818094762631532_n.jpg
    14915725_10211642527362846_2881818094762631532_n.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 43
nice photo terry...i used to get the 14 from the back of the fire station to the terminus at tile cross..my aunt lived there

lyn

the number 14 was the night service from town to tile cross, then we had to walk to kingshurst
not very pleasant on the back road to the bottom of kingshurst where the lake is now .

Back