• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Newcomers

I don't think it's worth starting a new thread for this, but here's a sample episode of "The Newcomers", though I'm darned if I can remember any of the characters. Enjoy or otherwise! :)

Maurice :cool:

I don't think it's worth starting a new thread for this, but here's a sample episode of "The Newcomers", though I'm darned if I can remember any of the characters. Enjoy or otherwise! :)

i cant remember it either.I only remember crossroads and Payton place. :D

I will watch later, Maurice. I think there was a young boy and a grandmother (Gladys Henson?) I was once on the same bus as her, and she looked awfully bad-tempered!

Pete,

I didn't get beyond the first five minutes and decided that it was very wooden. In 1967 I never had a evening free due to music work, so I'm guessing that it must been something that was put on about 6.30pm. But surprisingly several stars were in it, including every man's favourite, Jenny Agutter. Here's the lowdown:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Newcomers_(TV_series)

I see you've asked for the posts from the Crossroads one to be moved here!

Yes, I do remember the series but not much about it, guess we didn't watch much of it.

Skipped through it but can't say I remember it. Hate to say but I think I could watch it, maybe its nostalgic TV. I don't think its a memory problem as I recall enjoying a series called 'Mrs Thursday' that aired around the same time, 1966/67. Remember the phrase "ooh Mr Unter"

Last edited:
i remember mrs thursday...was that kathleen harrison who played in it or am i thinking of something else

lyn

It was Lyn. From memory she inherited a large sum of money and Mr. Hunter was what is know known as her financial adviser. Like many people who have managed on a small budget, I believe she had a hard time trying to spend some of her new wealth. :)

Skipped through it but can't say I remember it. Hate to say but I think I could watch it, maybe its nostalgic TV. I don't think its a memory problem as I recall enjoying a series called 'Mrs Thursday' that aired around the same time, 1966/67. Remember the phrase "ooh Mr Unter"

Also skipped through! I didn't know that Megs Jenkins and Jeremy Bulloch (Bob Cherry in the Billy Bunter series) were in it. It was interesting to see.

Well since only 5 odd episodes from the series have survived, it would be impossible to get any continuity in the stories. So it was so memorable that no one really remembered it! :)

Hugh Manning Mr Hunter from Mrs Thursday was born in Birmingham.
Not a lot people know that. Well they do now.

Back