• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Nelson Public House

Jackieb422ag

proper brummie kid
Can anyone help please. I'm looking for any information or pictures of The Nelson Pub in Small Heath. I've been told that it may have been in Green Lane. My Gt. Grandfather used to frequent the pub and he lived in Baker Street, Small Heath, so I imagine it wouldn't have been too far from his home. Thanks.

Nelson

Hello Jackie :) Are you sure the pub was called just The Nelson ?
folks always shortened their favourite watering hole,,
eg The Brittania always called "The Brit"
I think it was either "The Lord Nelson" or "The Admiral Nelson"
This will help when "Pub" searchers more knowledgeable come on
to assist you, Ok & Cheers John Y :cool:

The Nelson stood on the corner of Grange Rd and Baker St, well within staggering distance.

Attachments

• Small Heath  Nelson Inn Grange Rd .jpg
    Small Heath Nelson Inn Grange Rd .jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
The Nelson

Nice 1 Postie :) i remember it now, Lovely photo,
Was it Green Lane up towards Coventry Road end?
Cheers ,John Y :cool:

" Old Nelson " pub.

postie. May I ask on this thread if you happen to have a Photograph of the
" Old Nelson " pub once stood on the corner of Rupert Street and Great Lister Street.

Here ya go Ernie

Attachments

• Nechells Old Nelson Great Lister St 1960's.jpg
    Nechells Old Nelson Great Lister St 1960's.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for replying. I've been trying on and off for some years to find information about the pub. Great picture postie. My Grandparents used to run a shop in Grange Road and after my Gt. Grandfather, Alexander McClure, lost his sight, my mother used to fetch his beer in a white jug from The Nelson. She would have only been about eight years old. How times have changed. Thanks Winston, another excellent site. My mother's family were all born in Small Heath so it's very relevant.

Thanks again to you all.

hi al. this may be a tough one. looking for pics of the nelson inn that was in brearely st west. ive been told it was pulled down just before or just after the 30s. wales.

Postie,
Are there any pubs you dont have a picture of?
I ask because I am compiling an album of pubs in Aston and maybe you can save me the trouble!

Roger. Sorry my time would be around the mid 1940's, a drink in the " Passage " in Rupert Street and a packet of crisps from the " Outdoor " at the front in Great Lister Street.
Ernie.

I lived in Hawkes Street, (next street along from Baker Street). I remember there was strafing marks on this pubs walls. My Father told me that these were caused when German bombers attacked the adjacent Butlers factory. He also told me that the, "Gaffer" of the Nelson lost his legs in one of these bombing raids. Does anyone know if this is true?

Back