• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Museum Sutton Coldfield

Pete Ex Pat

master brummie
Any one remember the Pub on the corner of Park Road, Would love a photo if poss. Back in 1967 the Landlord was Bernard Broad an old mate of mine, I worked in the Pub in the little snug bar as i had my leg in plaster after a fall from scaffolding on a building site. He put me there as I could sit on a stool and still
serve witout moving around to much.... I belive he was also the landlord of a Pub called The Lamplighter
in Wallsal in the Street were they used to have a market day all up the street' would like one of that too if thats poss.

Regards Pete

I remember The Museum, Pete. A bunch of us, er, arty types used to hang out there on Friday nights to find out where the local parties were being held. They had a folk-music night for a while, as I recall. It was a bit of a scruffy place, but good fun. If there was nothing going on around Sutton we'd head off for The Three Tuns for the rest of the evening. Oddly enough we were talking about The Museum only the other night.

Big Gee

Hi Pete, Bernard Broad is my father, sadly he passed away almost 3 yrs ago and often spoke about the museum pub. Ihave vague memories of it but i was only very little then. The pub in Walsall is now called the Punch and Judy, its on the hill on the corner opposite Sainsburys. My mom has a few pictures somewhere i think.
Regards Dean
Any one remember the Pub on the corner of Park Road, Would love a photo if poss. Back in 1967 the Landlord was Bernard Broad an old mate of mine, I worked in the Pub in the little snug bar as i had my leg in plaster after a fall from scaffolding on a building site. He put me there as I could sit on a stool and still
serve witout moving around to much.... I belive he was also the landlord of a Pub called The Lamplighter
in Wallsal in the Street were they used to have a market day all up the street' would like one of that too if thats poss.

Regards Pete

Hi Dean, Firstly sorry to hear your Dad (Bernard ) has passed away he was a great Bloke, Had some good laughs and times with him back in the day.. Last time I saw him he was the landlord of the Lamplighter in Walsall back in about 1970/1 ,,,
Please give my regards to your Mom , His your Dads brother still around the last time I saw was in the College Arms

Laters Dean Regards Pete

Hi Pete, Bernard Broad is my father, sadly he passed away almost 3 yrs ago and often spoke about the museum pub. Ihave vague memories of it but i was only very little then. The pub in Walsall is now called the Punch and Judy, its on the hill on the corner opposite Sainsburys. My mom has a few pictures somewhere i think.
Regards Dean

[Thanks for the reply Pete, sadly Robert his twin passed away a couple of years before him, both died of cancer. Ill pass your regards on to my mom. I was only about 1 or 2 years old thenbut have vague memories of it. Mom and dad have told me many stories of the Museum. Most of the people who they hung around with back then are still in touch and get together for reunions. QUOTE=Pete Ex Pat;537805]Hi Dean, Firstly sorry to hear your Dad (Bernard ) has passed away he was a great Bloke, Had some good laughs and times with him back in the day.. Last time I saw him he was the landlord of the Lamplighter in Walsall back in about 1970/1 ,,,
Please give my regards to your Mom , His your Dads brother still around the last time I saw was in the College Arms

Laters Dean Regards Pete[/QUOTE]

Hi there! I'm a bit late to this post, but does anyone have any pictures of the museum pub? My grandmother Alice worked as a barmaid in the 50s/60s! Thank you for any information

Thank you for those wonderful pictures Two. We were only saying this morning what a sad place Sutton parade is now. With BHS, M & S and Laura Ashley going, to name but a few, it feels like a ghost town. If only they'd had the sense to leave a few shops for independent retailers so that there was a little character in the town instead of sweeping all the history away. Some years ago the developers of Gracechurch shopping centre wanted to buy the URC building but they wouldn't sell - thank goodness!

Regards Pete
Yes I remember The Museum. I lived in Sutton for over 60 years.I used to go on a Monday night in the sixties I think they had Monday night jazz Club used to go to The Shantasea jazz club as well in Midland Drive.

Back