• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Mount, Kings Road, Great Barr.

Chris Brennan

proper brummie kid
Has anybody got a picture of the original Mount pub on Kings Road, Great Barr & The King Charles
(aka The Charlie) which was on the same side of the road but nearer The Circle.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Brennan.:D

No pictures I 'am afraid.
But I visited the 'Charlie' a few times.. did anyone else notice that if you gave the seats a gentle tap a large amount of dust would raise up...
I understand that the famous Irish singer ' Big Tom' had a relative who ran the pub, and 'Big Tom' actually performed there. ( Big Tom and the Mainliners, still performing as far as I know)

I remember both these pubs the "Charlie" was close a number of times before it was knock down due to DRUG dealing in the bar.
The "Mount" built on that two levels, with the upper one done out like a swiss cable car station, was so different from the lower assembly room & Bar.
When I think of the fantastic old pubs we had, it a shame to see them go,but that progress I suppose?
In days gone by many directions given to folks who asked, were via church & pub.

Only 9 years too late but I found this picture at Sutton Library the other day. Not a good shot but best to save it for posterity.

Attachments

• The Mount.jpg
    The Mount.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 18
Hi pen, I.ve given that image a quick tweak. I had my first basket meal in the Mount. I felt sooo sophisticated ;)The Mount.jpg

I had chicken in a basket there too but I recall earlier queueing at a coal yard for a quarter cwt of coal in mid-winter either on that site or very close to it.

Thanks Morturn, much better! I had my first Babycham at the mount. I probably needed it after walking from the pre-fab and then up all those steps. Must have been on a Sunday evening. I would still have been at school but out with Mom and Dad.

Back