• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The motoring memories box.

Brummie a long time ago

master brummie
I have several boxes of 'stuff' that has built up over the years. (Julie thinks they are where I store my acorns as well). A lot of it is tech, which can appear somewhere else, but there is a bit of car stuff there. I decided today to sort through and extract the things that trigger memories into a single box so I can get a fix quickly when needed. I have my original red book driving license, and a driving lessons record card. Such things are not interesting to others, but here are a few bits that may trigger others.

RAC front.jpeg RAC back.jpeg
This is the illuminated version (classy or what). Made for the RAC by H B SALE of Birmingham. The back snaps off and a festoon bulb fits inside. Wired to the sidelights normally. That one is mine, I was in the RAC for a while.

Police RR.jpeg LRO50.jpeg
These two tie in with my earlier love of the classic RR. Julie found me the Police book. It is from 1998. It lists UK forces, with pictures of their RR in force livery with descriptions. There is a Birmingham connection in that it is dedicated by the author to Superintendent W R Morris. of Birmingham City Police, who ordered the first police version of the RR. The magazine is simply a momento that I bought at publication time in 1998. Some of the adverts are very nostalgic.
I had 4 Classics over my time with them, loved every one. The last one was a nearly end of line soft dash at 3.9 Litres. Had to fight Julie to drive that one.

midget brochure 1.jpeg midget brochure 2.jpeg
These last two are a bit of a mystery. They are a sales brochure from 1976. Leyland Cars were in Redditch, where we lived for a while. However, neither of us are sports car types, certainly never lusted after an MG Midget. So they are foreigners, but are here in case anyone is interested. I have the full brochure and the back page is the specification, quite interesting.

Andrew.

Back