• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Moby Dick

dereklcg

master brummie
looks like another Birmingham pub,
is past it,s sell by date.
anyone remember it use it drink there
run it? it,s there all on it,s own,
the back of millennium point,
looks like it had a make over not that long
ago but a lick of paint could be deceptive.
it,s more than likely seen some good times
off curzon st probably used by railway workers at
one time. sad development not always to the good.
happy days regards dereklcg. :cry:

Attachments

• Nechells Eagle Penn - Godall St St.jpg
    Nechells Eagle Penn - Godall St St.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 11
Here is a pic I took before the wholesale destruction of the area.I don't know if you knew but it used to be called The Eagle and Ball. BobS.

My husband was told that it is going to be saved, but wether its true or not I don't know. We had our wedding reception there 27 years ago when it was the eagle and ball.

Attachments

• Penn St - Gospal St Moby Dicks- Eagle & Ball B4.jpg
    Penn St - Gospal St Moby Dicks- Eagle & Ball B4.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 8
nice one bob,they ,ve done a right number in the area.
looking at you picture,it looked nice with the sun
on it and all.
it was,nt that i lived in that area i was born in Cromwell st and,
went to loxton school,we had been to dollman st and i left my car there
while we went into town.
just so sad to see old buildings like that,going to the dogs
i bet there used to be some good nights to be had
in the pub whatever it,s name was. happy days cheers bob. dereklcg.

hi mariew. that's great to here i,m really pleased i was in the area and
to photograph it,for you to put it in your album,
and if it was recent happy anniversary to you both.
best wishes Derek.

Thanks Derek, our Anniverary was the 3rd of July, and we did have many a good night in the Eagle and Ball.

My mate had his wedding reception there in the 80s i also used it in the 80s 90s it was a good pub,it would be a shame to see it go:(Mossy

It now belongs to Advantage West Midlands and I don't suppose they'ed fence it off and protect it if they were going to knock it down.Ditto,the Fox and Grapes!!.

It now belongs to Advantage West Midlands and I don't suppose they'ed fence it off and protect it if they were going to knock it down.Ditto,the Fox and Grapes!!.

Whats the story with the Registered Offices Of the City Of Bham Yacht Club at the Moby Dick ?!

this is being saved, lots of work going on there now as part of millenium point, think this was renamed in the 80's along with the railway on curzon street which became ciscos a mexican place i think, both were owned by the same person,
ciscos was later brought by the mick o'neil and named "o'neils ale house and kitchen" before going back to being the railway when M+B paid him off to use the o'neil name for their irish themed pubs, they took him to court for the use of the name as they said it was copyrighted, they lost as "oneil's ale house and kitchen" was in use before they had the idea to use the name for their themed pubs, he received a 6 figure sum apparently!!
micks dad (Joe i think)owned the three A's in saltley for years, he passed away a few years ago,
the o'neils have Run/owned a number of pubs around town over the years, the king edward(ben johnson) on corporation st, the mitre in nechells, and the adam and eve on bradford st, micks brother pete managed this for him until he brought it himself and his daughter katie still runs it.

Back