• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Mitre Nechells

philbee

birmingham born and bred
good afternoon all
i would be interested in any memories of the mitre pub on the corner of longacre and railway terrace in nechells as my family and relatives used to frequent it on numerous occasions and i have sat out side on the step with my bottle of vimto and smiths crisps many times also watching the dray men delivering the beer down the cellar by rope.
phil

hi philbee
when nechells was vibrant with family life way back in time
the mitre was a good family pub and since the demolition of the area
that as all gone the pub still stands best wishes astonian ;;;;

Last edited by a moderator:
hi phil , my brother in law runs the mitre , they have some good times there , he will have a go at anything to draw there custom , terry

My brothers son in law runs the Mitre, Dave and Nicky

Mossy:p

Last edited by a moderator:
hi mossy, dave is my brother in law , i know your brother pete & his wife sue very well , terry PS I USED TO LIVE IN
SHEEPCOTE LANE ROUND THE CORNER FROM PETE IN LADYWOOD TERRY

hi phil , my brother in law runs the mitre , they have some good times there , he will have a go at anything to draw there custom , terry
this seems to be a family thread,this is violets son pete.hope you and jemila are o.k. i hope to get to brum soon and will visit the mitre

A mate of mine Bob was doing some work there, he was a cental heating
guy, and he got me the job of doing the sign.
I did the wall patch which was facing down long acre towards cuckoo bridge.
That was in the late 70's.

here a picture of the mitre ale house they have painted it black and grey since i took this pic

Attachments

• Nechells Mitre PH.jpg
    Nechells Mitre PH.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 10
In the 1970's I worked at Foseco in Long Acre, and The Mitre was where we went lunchtimes if we wanted a swift half. One day a few of us shuffled over the road to be told that the pub was closed 'by order', as men fixing the roof had discovered an unexploded German incendiary bomb in the eaves. We tut-tutted our way down to The Swanpool. I mean - closing a pub because of an unexploded bomb? Whatever next?

Big Gee

Thanks for the photo of the Mitre pub. My family lived halfway between the Mitre and the Prince of Wales in Long Acre. It looks different to when I last saw it in 1950.
Bob

Thanks for the photo of the Mitre pub. My family lived halfway between the Mitre and the Prince of Wales in Long Acre. It looks different to when I last saw it in 1950.
Bob
no problems Bob if theres anymore pictures you need from the area let me know and when im round there on my bike ill photogragh it for you
best wishes.Roger

good afternoon all
i would be interested in any memories of the mitre pub on the corner of longacre and railway terrace in nechells as my family and relatives used to frequent it on numerous occasions and i have sat out side on the step with my bottle of vimto and smiths crisps many times also watching the dray men delivering the beer down the cellar by rope.
phil

My memory of The Mitre was going there with Phil Beadle a school friend from Duddeston Manor forms 1X to 5X

Back