• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Minories

arealpal

proper brummie kid
Hi Everyone
Does anybody know the name of the restaurant at the end of the minories about 50 years ago. It was the one were you went upstairs.

Here's another one taken in 1938, would it have been a taxi rank then?

I have this photo in an Alton Douglas Book with the quote."This is something of a curio because due to road works in Bull St.,the traffic was going the wrong way"Notice the rubber bricks. Dek

Yes it does look as if the traffic is coming from Old Square. You have reminded me about the rubber tiles. I am guessing that this was to cut down the traffic noice.

azs.jpegThis photo also has the traffic going the wrong way. 1938.

Here is a picture of The Minories,it was taken from the opposite end and dated 1935.Moss

Attachments

• minories.1935.jpg
    minories.1935.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 57
A super photo Moss - my favourite shop from my young days - and look at those columns.
oldmohawk

These ruins were exposed in the1880s during building works in the Minories. They were part of the old Priory foundations. Eat your heart out Time Team! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365452391.985962.jpg

But they didn't have geophys back then as it hadn't been invented!

Unfortunately Time Team has just been cancelled after 20 years / seasons.

Apart from the shops under the walkway, think it is mostly offices and a court in here now.

Back