• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Minories - Modern & Old Together

Dave_G

proper brummie kid
Went on my travels again today and snapped the Minories near the Old Square. I've blended the old image in with the current view and done half and half to show.

theminories.jpg

Brilliant Dave. Always remember the wind howling through the Minories in winter before it was enclosed. Can see why it was enclosed, but still prefer the original open design. It used to be brightly lit and it always gave me a real sense of entering a buzzing and inviting shop. Thanks Dave. Viv.

Dave for me this is the best yet, probably because I know where it is,and like Viv says, the wind howling through it, I would have only been a child then, but used to go there with my Aunts.
Sue

I was walking through the Minories today,and I remembered the rubber road that according to my dad was put there to reduce the noise levels in Lewis's basement

Did you know that i got approached by a security guard yesterday and asked why i was taking photos; i showed him the old picture and he suddenly became interested in what i was doing.

Great photo Dave old and new brilliant. I remember the rubber road well and it worked to keep the traffic noise down. As for the security guard several of our members have had the same thing happen. I can only think it's because of terrorism. What a sad world these terrorists have made for us. We have been targeted a few times. No one will forget the pub bombings. I remember only about 3/4 years ago there was a car bomb scare and my son was in town it was so scary.

10167474a.jpg

And here are the Minories in a slightly later year than the black and white capture. Photo taken from the other end, though (Ph. courtesy Mary Evans).

Back