• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Miles Family

Steve R

master brummie
I am searching for descendants of Walter and Evelyn Miles. The family 0riginate from Gloucester in the 1860's and eventually resided in Birmingham. They adopted a son, George Radway-Miles and a daughter Winifred. Walter was a Police Sergeant in the Birmingham City Police and Evelyn has the honours of being one of the first ever police women in Birmingham being recruited in 1917. I have found them on the 1911 census but then the trial goes cold. I am struggling to find anything further on George (his death certificate may be helpful) and of course Winfred may have changed her name. There is/was clearly some family member who was interested in the family tree in 2005 as they have put an entry onto Curious Fox. I have attempted to answer their appeal for information but without success. I guess the email address may have changed by now etc. Has somebody boasted to you that there grandmother was the first female Birmingham Police officer, certainly a talking point.

Steve R

It appears that George was the illegitimate son of Evelyn, registered as George Canter Radway, Mar qtr 1881 in Cirecenster.

Also Walter appears to be the illegitimate son of Ellen Robertson. Walter is listed as Robertson on the marriage to Evelyn Mary Radway, Jun qtr 1885 Cirencester.

And Evelyn appears to be illegitimate, the daughter of Eliza Radway.

Last edited:
Evelyn and Winifred are at 269 Yardley Road on the 1939 eve of WW2 register -

1939 REGISTER TRANSCRIPTION

Miles Household (2 People)269 Yardley Road , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
Evelyn M Miles 27 Sep 1864 Female, B'ham Police Woman Widowed 256 1
Winifred A Miles 13 May 1899 Female, Estate Visitor, City Police Single 256 2

Last edited:
George married Caroline Johnson, marriage registered Sep qtr 1902, Cardiff.

In 1911, they are living in Penarth with 3 sons and Caroline is listed in Penarth in 1939 with a daughter in law, I think she's listed as married but George isn't listed.

Her death is registered in 1973, East Glamorgan.

Last edited:
Can't see any death for a Winfred Miles with the above birth date and as no other name is listed in 1939 it seems she didn't marry.

However, there is a death registered for a Winifred Miles in Oct 1991, Solihull South with only a birth year given, which could imply it was registered by a non family member.

In regards Evelyn Mary Radway. On the Gloucestershire BMD site, she is listed as both Radway and Ruck on her marriage.

And in 1861 Eliza is listed as a house servant of Edward Nanston Ruck.

(don't know if you know all this already)

No luck finding a death for George Miles, there are only 2 listed in the Cardiff district (which includes Penarth) but neither seems likely.

Of George and Caroline's 3 sons - Percy Reginald, Charles Walter & Lionel John - there's a daughter for Percy listed - Diana J, 1938 E Glamorgan - and a son for Lionel - John, 1939, Islington.

There's deaths registered for Percy & Lionel.

Diana J Radway-Miles married a William A Price, registered 1963 E Glamorgan and had 2 sons, and then re-married a Terence F Flowers (I think) and had a daughter.

Well I must say you guys have been really busy and achieved more than I could have done. I have over the last month found some of the earlier stuff but past 1911 census have struggled. Post 11 onwards has lots of new information.
George and Caroline's 3 sons - Percy Reginald & Lionel John have recorded deaths but I wander if Charles by any chance is still with us?

Then there is Diana J, 1938 E Glamorgan and - John, 1939, they would only be in their late 70's now so I can try to trace them.

Diana J Radway-Miles & William A Price. Do you have the names of the two sons recorded? having said that trying to trace the daughter (if there is one may be easier if she had the rarer surname of Flowers, is there a name for the daughter? I have co-written a book on Evelyn Miles and have a lot of information I could give them. somebody in thei family has put a request on Curious Fox asking for info but that was 11 years ago.

Thank you for the good work.

Steve R

Last edited:
I have been on several forums over the years but BHF is the friendliest and most helpful yet.

Steve R

Bewdley
In post 3 you mention Winifred as Estates visitor City Police. I am not sure what that means exactly. Are we saying she was a Police officer? or stayed in Police premises.

Is there a document you could email to me?

Steve R

Andrew Sean Price, registered Carmarthen Sep qtr 1966

Rhodri James Price, registered Carmarthen Mar qtr 1968

Diana Frances Flower, registered Carmarthen Sep qtr 1971

MWS - Time for me to hit the voters register and see if I can find them. Thank you very much for your help.

Steve R

Bewdley
In post 3 you mention Winifred as Estates visitor City Police. I am not sure what that means exactly. Are we saying she was a Police officer? or stayed in Police premises.

Is there a document you could email to me?

Steve R

Just putting my grandson to bed, will do it as soon as he settles

Back