• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Midland Tavern

Edifi

master brummie
Don't tell anyone.When I was about 6-7 me and my mates Tommy Fryer. & Bobby Bowden would go down the bombed building by the side of the Midland Tavern ,climb over the fence and walk over the grass to were they stored the empty bottles in the wooden crates.We would remove the top 2 crates and take 1 or 2 bottles each put them in our tank tops and climb back over the fence .We would then over a couple of days return them to the outdoor and get a penny of each.We would then go to Pickfords in Inkerman St for some Sweets.

Edifi, I won't tell anyone if you dont. I also did the same, a few pubs had bottle stors out the back, rich picking for us wide boys.

I think all us kids did the same. Despite the hard times and the charge on bottles, some people with a little more money than us were careless about returning their bottles, and we were always ready to take advantage as it funded our sweets, sherbet and penny bottles of pop! Just our thrift! :)

Maurice

same here maurice...a quick bunk up over the back wall of the vine inn villa st...pass a few bottles over then very cheekily round to the outdoor of the pub..cash in and spend the return money at the outdoor....happy days :D :D

lyn

Don't tell anyone.When I was about 6-7 me and my mates Tommy Fryer. & Bobby Bowden would go down the bombed building by the side of the Midland Tavern ,climb over the fence and walk over the grass to were they stored the empty bottles in the wooden crates.We would remove the top 2 crates and take 1 or 2 bottles each put them in our tank tops and climb back over the fence .We would then over a couple of days return them to the outdoor and get a penny of each.We would then go to Pickfords in Inkerman St for some Sweets.
Edfi
I won't say anything if you don't, don't know what your mates will say though after you've just named them :):):)
Mind you the landlord's probably stopped looking for you by now :)

Edifi, I won't tell anyone if you dont. I also did the same, a few pubs had bottle stors out the back, rich picking for us wide boys.
Not just you wide boys, some of us girls did the same thing too,a bag of broken biscuits was what I would buy with my ill gotten gains

same here maurice...a quick bunk up over the back wall of the vine inn villa st...pass a few bottles over then very cheekily round to the outdoor of the pub..cash in and spend the return money at the outdoor....happy days :D :D

lyn
lyn,........shame on you,i imagined you as a little angel:innocent:..:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

not quite pete...not quite...had a great childhood but we never harmed a soul

lyn :)

I think all us kids did the same. Despite the hard times and the charge on bottles, some people with a little more money than us were careless about returning their bottles, and we were always ready to take advantage as it funded our sweets, sherbet and penny bottles of pop! Just our thrift! :)

Maurice
penny vantos pop. yuk

Back