• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Midland Hotel (Burlington Hotel)

I am trying to find any records of workers around the time of 1927,
My late mother was
Place into a convent and later was put into care of a gentleman who was working at the Midland hotel,
I would suspect she worked in the Laundry dept
Thank you

When this hotel was first built it would have had a much more open aspect on the Navigation Street side. (See drawing in post #30). That would explain the impressive features of the building and the large stone Midland Hotel sign still visible on that side today. Over time the street has become more enclosed but there are still tell-tale features of its former use as a key hotel entrance from New Street Station. Viv.

Screenshot_20230601_122117_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230601_191335_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Viv
That is how I remember it in the 1970s, so probably a bit after the old station was demolished

Back