• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Metrobus

Heartland

master brummie
Metro Cammel Weyman produced a number of buses that were made in Birmingham at a factory off Bickenhill Lane.

In December 1980. there was an exhibition at the NEC where a MCW was on show.183.jpg

Birmingham has its share of vehicles as well.

180.jpg

They seemed a very good product and very easy to drive. A small bus company in Devon had an ex London Transport one.
As part of training I arranged for this bus to be used for rescue purposes.
The idea was that the bus had crashed and the only way to remove the 'passengers', played by uncooperative firemen, was out through the upper deck emergency window. It was hilarious at times.
However, the icing on the cake was that I was allowed to drive the bus back, via a town centre and back to its garage.

Last edited:
Hi,

Just to clarify, - M-CW's works at Bickenhill had been closed for a number of years when the
Metrobus was designed and built at the Washwood heath factory.

Kind regards
Dave

Yes, I saw the Metrobus at Washwood Heath, but cycling past the Sheldon factory, one day, I saw one there. Sheldon must have closed after 1980. Further clarification would be appreciated.

The Sheldon Factory was associated with Elmdon airport during the war, and there was a bridge that had a link road between airport and factory.

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that Weymann's factory in Bickenhill/Elmdon closed in 1966,
although I was told by a friend some years ago who had worked there that
the building was still there.
Clarification of the exact year of closure would be nice - I can't find anything
on the Internet.
Incidentally, if you look at the Metrobus MCW logo, it looks very similar
if inverted. The intention was for the steering wheel logo to appear the same
either way up, but it was an impossible task to get the letter C right

Kind regards
Dave

Last edited:
thanks dave...it would be interesting to try and find out for certain if the weymanns factory is still...would you have the actually address for it please

lyn

Hi Lyn.

I was told by that friend that if you went along the footpath in Bickenhill Lane not far from
where the old Maglev bridge crossed the road and looked over the wall to the lower level
you could see the old works. I was always under the impression that the NEC was built over
the site, but as I only ever went down Bickenhill Lane by car, I never got to have a look.

At the time I lived in Smiths Wood, but as I now live in Scratby on the Norfolk coast I doubt
very much if I will ever get to see it !

Kind regards
Dave

Back