• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the maypole hotel..kings heath

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
the maypole hotel and terminus..kings heath

Attachments

• Kings Heath maypole alcester rd south.jpg
    Kings Heath maypole alcester rd south.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 2
The route of the rearmost bus is a long-gone cross-city route, 17, The Maypole Kings Heath to The Bagot, Chester Road Erdington via the City.

A 1939 phone book gives "The Maypole Inn, Maypole Lane, WARstock 2154". I never thought it was a hotel, although it may have had rooms available in the distant past.

" it may have had rooms available in the distant past"

The name Inn does suggest that Lloyd - used to live just around the corner in the early 1960's and worked with someone who was a regular with his Rum and Blackcurrant.

hi lloyed
yes it was a fine looking pub it may have been way back in time of the early 1900;S
i can recall a young couple whom ran that pub way back in the eightys we picked them up by coach
out side there grand looking pub ;i may say very inpressive it was as we were all to ireland about thirty of us from the brewery
to see how the irish run there pubs as ourbreweries was hoping to learn some think from them
on how they operate and we went to the guiness brewery and to jemmousns whisky brewers as well as a tour of all there pubs in dublin
stayed at the hotel across from big jackie charlton pub at a flush hotel ;
we had a good drinking sessions beleive me
i have a large group picture of all us gaffers at the guines brewery i will try and dig it out with this couple fromthat maypole pub on it
it was a pity they knocked it down as i said and i am sure other people will say it was a grand building
this couple kept a great pub inside and out to high stannards beer bang on could not fault it ;
have a great day guys astonian ; alan;

I grew up in Sladepool Farm road and have many memories of the Maypole (correct title-"The Mayp"!).

One of my earliest memories is standing with my dad, gaping at a single-decker bus that was sitting at the terminus. The bus was covered in fairy lights and I can still see the driver smiling down at me.

The bus was decorated to celebrate VJ Day. I'd have been four years old.

Mayp'l, maybe it is and always was. But as a youngster in the Solihull area I always knew it as Maypole, after all I guess there was, or had been, a maypole in the area. Incorrect diction brought about retribution :uncomfortableness: which reminds me of an occasion when a boy from Wythall was asked to read out the conjugation of the verb 'to be'. He started off; I be, you be - I am not sure whether he made it to he be - before he was ordered out front to receive 'six of the best'. I felt sorry for him as Wythall being in Worcestershire was regarded as 'in the sticks' by many of 'those in charge' and that is how some rural folks often spoke. :friendly_wink:

Back