• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book: The man who changed the face of Birmingham

Re: "The Man who Changed Birmingham" a new book about Pugin the Architect

Thanks Jenny thay looks like a very interesting book. I have always loved Pugin's buildings and first got to know more about his work from Fred Dibnah who was a great admirer and mentioned him often in his TV programs.

Re: "The Man who Changed Birmingham" a new book about Pugin the Architect

I was up in Birmingham last year (March 2012) and picked up a leaflet from the tourist information centre called "Birmingham Pugin Trail".

As I am sure many of you are aware Augustus Pugin designed much of the interior of the Houses of Parliament (and the Big Ben tower I believe),
along with Sir Charles Barry who was the main architect.

Pugin was born in 1812 so there was a lot of Pugin events going on last year.

Pugin's link with Birmingham was that he did work on St Chads cathedral, Erdington abbey, and Oscott college, all still standing.

Pugin and Barry worked together on St Edwards School on New St, which was a wonderful building, but sadly demolished in 1936.

More here - see link below, where you can download two versions of the brochure - a copy without photos and a copy with photos.

The brochure, with photos, is a lovely document with many interesting photos.

https://www.birminghamheritage.org.uk/pugin.html

Re: "The Man who Changed the Face of Birmingham" - a new book about Pugin the Archite

Pugin certainly had an interesting career. I used to go st chads cathedral when I was at school, I even used to help.out with some jobs there along with some other lads.nether giving it a thought about it's history or who built it.
Regards nijinski

Re: "The Man who Changed the Face of Birmingham" - a new book about Pugin the Archite

Jennyann, I think they have the wrong guy in the book. The right one used other means.

Sorry to go off topic from Pugin and Birmingham, but every time I hear his name I think of my birthplace.
I was born in Cheadle Staffs and Pugin built St Giles Catholic church in the town in 1841, funded by the Earl of Shrewsbury from Alton Towers.
The Red doors with heraldic lions on are magnificent.

Hi Rupert: I believe the author of "The Man Who Changed the Face of Birmingham" featuring Augustus Pugin wrote the book about him and the
design of his architecture covering the time Mr. Putin was designing buildings and churches in Birmingham and other places in the UK, Ireland and Australia. Birmingham during Putin's time was lacking in notable buildings and he left his mark in changing the image of Birmingham with his landmark buildings.
For a man who lived only to the age of 40 his architectural and interior design accomplishments are notable.

For many people the title of the "The Man Who Changed the Face of Birmingham" in contemporary times regarding the subject of the post war development of Birmingham could refer to one Sir Herbert Manzoni. Can't say more than that since many people know the story of his approach to redevelopment in Birmingham during his time as Chief Engineer of the City.
Another book written about Augustus Pugin is called "God's Architect". The synopsis referred to here is interesting:https://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/feb/24/pugin-gothic-architect

Yeah, you got it Jenny and I thought that it was the latter who would be the subject, when I read the title. I was just trying for a bit of humour and maybe missed the mark.

Back