• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Longboat, Cambrian Wharf

What a day we've had Lyn, I'm worn out, you've got some energy girl! :)

hi BB i have always got time for brum history:D..hoping to visit the longboat this weekend just for old times sake to get some inside and outside shots...it wont be with us for much longer...:mad:

lyn

on the way back from my sisters i popped into the longboat..well i opened the gate as is was not locked....looked all quiet and was not open...then a man came on the roof an shouted down that they were closed until 4 oclock:eek: very nice man and when i explained what i was there for he informed that no planning permission had yet been granted and they dont expect a decision until the end feb...the only days they open at midday are fridays and saturdays so i asked if i could come back soon and take some indoor shots...he said no problem..so for now folks we will just have to wait to hear about its fate..

lyn

on the way back from my sisters i popped into the longboat..well i opened the gate as is was not locked....looked all quiet and was not open...then a man came on the roof an shouted down that they were closed until 4 oclock:eek: very nice man and when i explained what i was there for he informed that no planning permission had yet been granted and they dont expect a decision until the end feb...the only days they open at midday are fridays and saturdays so i asked if i could come back soon and take some indoor shots...he said no problem..so for now folks we will just have to wait to hear about its fate..

lyn

Thanks for that, Lyn. I thought the deal was signed and sealed. I wonder if the pub still has the traditional canal boat tillers at the end of the seats?
Bet it was cold down there on the cut!

will have a look when i can in BB...yes it was so very cold today...must admit i didnt bank on a chap to be hollowing at me from the roof..."OY WE ARE CLOSED":D

will have a look when i can in BB...yes it was so very cold today...must admit i didnt bank on a chap to be hollowing at me from the roof..."OY WE ARE CLOSED":D

I hope The Mail doesn't carry a story tomorrow informing us that the lead roof of The Longboat was stripped and that the police are looking for a man and his female accomplice!

Or that architectural features including beautiful blue bricks have been mysteriously removed removed

Or that architectural features including beautiful blue bricks have been mysteriously removed removed

Where were the blue bricks, Mike? In a slightly similar vein, I used to drink in The Crown on Broad Street about 30 / 40 years ago. In one of the rooms there was a brass plaque high up on the wall. The plaque showed where the tallest man in Birmingham had reached his hand. I don't have the date on the plaque (or the name of the man) but the event occurred at some time in the nineteenth century. When M & B redecorated the pub in the 80s, the plaque had disappeared. I've made enquiries but with no success. I asked Carl Chinn about it but he had no knowledge of it. Do you know anything about it?

stop ganging up on me lads lol

BB ref the blue bricks which as you will read i had the ok to remove....click on link below to read all about it....its about the excavation that took place on the site of winfield brass co i was up there to take photos and record progress...the site was then used for the new libarary...i had great fun with this mission...start from post 1..some photo will be missing from their original posts due to the forum being hacked but as you read on a lot of them have been replace...

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...chaeological-site-library-centenary-sq.26299/

Thanks for that Lyn, I didn't realise there was so much 'intact' evidence to be found in that area. Just out of interest, have you any knowledge of the plaque in The Crown I was asking Mike about?

sorry BB but i dont and if carl does not i doubt very much if anyone does...over the years so many of brums little artifacts have gone walk abouts..ie the lucas clock that was over the bridge at gt king st was said to have been put into storage when the building was demolished in the 90s but after extensive research i can find no trace of this iconic clock:( the only place i can think of that you may contact is dolman st stores which houses a lot of brums unwanted history...i would have hoped that after the crown was redecorated the plaque would have been replaced but seemingly not...such a pity

lyn

I looked at one of your posts from a while ago about The Duke of York in Hockley Hill. It was a Georgian pub with loads of atmosphere. In the late 80s / early 90s a friend of mine saw the entire bar being stripped of its furniture, pumps, fittings etc, his suspicions raised he phoned the police. They got there eventually but too late. Around this time, (closed) Georgian and Victorian pubs in and around Birmingham had their interiors stripped by thieves to be used in pubs and bars in the UK and the US. There were a few stories in The Evening Mail as it was then about the pubs that were robbed. Absolute shame, really.

oh the poor duke of york...yes i also heard about the stripping of the original bar and its fittings...the last time i was in there was in 1992....apparently one night it just fell down....there is still just a bit of the passage way door frame left...well there was a few months back...tragic really

lyn

Back