• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Long Pull Pub Aka Queen's Arms

I have a newspaper cutting from the Birmingham Daily Post Dec 9, 1887. It reports an inquest into the death of a 60-year-old woman (Elizabeth Whitehead) who was assaulted in a pub. The landlord is called to give evidence. One line in the report reads,

"Thomas Perryman said he was the landlord of the Queens Arms, Cheapside, which used to be call the Long Pull."

Any snippets of information about the pub and/or the landlord would be much appreciated. (I am in Canada so a visit to the area is not possible).

(I can post the full inquest text if anyone is interested)

Thanks

Pliny The Youngest

Welcome Pliny. I'm sure our members will do their best to find information for you. An unusual name for a pub. Wondering if the name "Long Pull" had anything to do with barges. Hopefully we'll find out. Meanwhile enjoy the forum. Viv.

The pub was at 129 Cheapside, the position of which is shown on the map c 1889 in red. I wonder if the name "Long pull", was a nickname, as the "long pull" was a habit of some barmen to give overmeasure, which caused some arguments and prosecutions c 1915. It seems pubs were prosecuted for giving you too much beer!!

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing no 12 cheapside,.jpg
    map c 1889 showing no 12 cheapside,.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Pliny
As I have told you in an IM, the information I originally gave you in post 3 was incorrect, and the pub was at no 12 Cheapside, not no 19. I have corrected the post and the map, but also I should perhaps add that I got the address from the 1888 Kellys as where Thomas was (The 1888 kellys would refer to c1887). It only listed it was a beer retailer though, which could mean either an off licence or a beerhouse which only held a licence to sell beer and cider on the premises. The 1881 census confirms the name Queen's Arms, though I have not found any pub listed in newspapers or in books called the Queens Arms in Cheapside. It would have been a beerhouse, licensed to sell only beer and cider for consumption on the premises. It was officially called the Queen's Arms certainly as far back as the 1961 census
The 1891 census shows Thomas listed as a what is probably a nail maker (though it looks more like Nail Healer), aged 49 , with wife Harriett (47) and with children Julia (12), Lilly (10), Sussan(sic)(7) and Nellie (5). All members born Birmingham. It is not here described as a licenced establishment, though this is not uncommon, the wife doing most of the pub work while the husband concentrates on his trade. the 1881 census mentioned above, although naming the establishment, does not list publican as occupation

Thank you very much mikejee for the correction and great additional information; it sounds like the Queen's Arms was both a beerhouse and the home where the Perryman family lived, is that right?

Mike, thought I'd check on Ancestry as I've never heard of a Nail Healer. I think it must be that the enumerator couldn't understand what he was saying on the day. Your 1891 definitely says Nail Healer but the 1871, 1881 & 1901 all say Annealer (mind you by the 1911 census he's a coal dealer (was he really or was it another enumerator's error?)

Attachments

• Perryman.jpg
    Perryman.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1
Or could it be a person who improves old nails for re-use? Old, hand-made nails might have been re-used but might have first needed straightening. Viv.

Hi Mike
just like to say that i have just picked up on your early thread when you said that way back in those years about the wife running
the pub , or if you like to hear the word of beer seller , it was the case more often than not , that there partner
be that a husband or not would go out and earn the crust from what ever his trade may have been whilst she serves up
And I just wanted to add to the fact really and truly it,s still the case today i,m afraid ,In this 2017
there is hundreds of guys today whom are doing it , and i can tell you names of the managers of todays society are doing it
and it.s named pubs you have heard of beleive me or not ,
Astonian,,,,,Alan,,,,

Interesting discussion - thanks all for comments.

I'm with Lady P on the nail healer/annealer explanation - seems like a transcription error by a census taker who didn't know the job 'annealer'.

I have attached the original news report (somewhat poor quality I'm afraid, but hopefully readable). A couple of observations (recognising that newspaper reports are open to interpretation):

the building (described as a tavern in 1901 census and address as 18 Cheapside) is described as having a cellar, a bar, and a smoke room;
the landlord (Perryman) seems to have been present during the day when the woman had been in drinking earlier, (22 Nov 1887 was a Tuesday)(in the article 22nd ult is an abbreviation for ultimo meaning 'previous month');
the cause of death was erysipelas (a strep A infection) caused by the head injury;
in a somewhat ironic twist the name of the officer investigating a drunken quarrel between the two women was Detective-Inspector Drinkwater.

Attachments

• BDP 9 Dec 1887.pdf
    284.1 KB · Views: 6
Its been a while since this conversation took place but I have something to add. My 2 X great grandad, Charles Randall Heath was the landlord of the Queens Arms Inn on Cheapside for a time.
In 1850 a William Beech is listed at this address as a beer retailer but it wasn't called the Queens Arms. Charles Randle Heath re-located from Old Inkleys and took it over before 1858 and maybe it was he who gave it its name. He was a County Court Bailiff so it was his wife Phoebe that ran it until she died in 1864 of bronchitis. I think it was sometime after this that he gave it up. Charles Randle Heath was a 'rough' character and features in the newspapers a few times as being the 'victim' of an assault during the course of his duties as a bailiff. There are other clues in his history which indicated that he was not exactly an honest, upright citizen and apparently in these times bailiffs were often corrupt.
Cheapside was a rough area, described at the time as 'a nursery of crime' and was often where riots and fights broke out.
I believe that today the location of no 12 Cheapside lies below the warehouses of Birmingham's wholesale markets precinct.
My branch of his descendants ended up in Nottinghamshire.

Back