• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Lion King, Birmingham Hippodrome

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
I would have liked to have taken 2 of my grandchildren to see this show, so I looked for the cheaper options for 4 seats and chose an afternoon / Wednesday performance. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the cost and they wanted an extra 2 quid to help pay for the upkeep of the theatre. Looks like I 'll be keeping my money.

Attachments

• tickets (Medium).jpg
    tickets (Medium).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 48
That is a shame Terry. I have heard nothing but praise for the show. It is costly for a family isn't it?. I didn't realize it was that costly Terry??. Jean.

Last edited:
I haven't been to the Theatre for many years, this was a huge shock...I had to look twice!!! These prices are way out of reach for a great many people I would think.
rosie.

Looking at those prices again I notice there are an extra 3 seats added, how, I dont know. It would still cost about £235 pounds though. Not paying it, though plenty of people seem to be. Shame really.

Terry

If you still want to take them to something and aren't too p'ed off with the Hippodrome, they've got a couple of free outdoor shows coming up https://www.birminghamhippodrome.com/WhatsOn_focus.asp?showId=1798 (all day things over a weekend)
https://www.birminghamhippodrome.com/WhatsOn_focus.asp?showId=1800 (evening show) The second of these is part of a city weekend event to co-incide with the opening of the new library/re-opening of the rep https://visitbirmingham.com/files/2013-08-34/4SquaresprogrammelowRes1.pdf

I notice there are still £40 tickets available for the Lion King at the rear of the circle. I know that is still £160 for 4 tickets, but it is still less than your selection above.

Also you mention £2 for the upkeep of the theatre. Well the Hippodrome is a charity and relies on money from ticket sales as well as money from Lottery funding and so on to keep it going. Anyway you can deselect the £2 donation if you want to.

I think you will find nowadays theatres and events like football matches and pop concerts do cost a lot of money. I think it is about £45 to go and see an Aston villa match nowadays.

My wife was interested in going to see Mamma Mia at the theatre in London and found the tickets were over £80.

I went to see this show on the opening night - cost a fortune for me and the family, 6 of us - but was sooooo worth it.
The cost is justified when you see how many men, women and children are involved and all the costumes and puppetry. My eldest girl and her daughter, who have seen this show in London and New York, had nothing but praise for it, said it was equally as good as any. I didn't know what to expect as I have never seen the film or whatever, but with it coming to the Hipp, where I go regularly, had to go see.
As I said the cost, plus a meal across in Wetherspoons, was prohibitive but an evening I shall never forget........ I would love to go again - which is something I rarely say!!

Back