• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Life and Military Service of a Hockley Lad - Stanley Easthope

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been writing up some information I have received from the family of a Hockley lad, Stanley Easthope, who in WW2 joined the Home Guard at a very early age and whilst on duty in 1942 or 1943 witnessed the death at a blitz-damaged building of a woman who had ignored warnings not to cross a Civil Defence cordon. She was hit by a falling wall and apparently died in Stan's arms. I'm hoping that, one day, it will be possible to locate and date this incident so that we can identify and remember the unfortunate victim, although efforts so far have been to no avail.

Stan's family history includes homes in Ford Street and then New John Street West, Hockley (where we know that Stan spent most of the war years with his family); and later, Devonshire Street, Winson Green. He volunteered for the Regular Army, under-age, in 1944, and thereafter made a career there for the next 37 years. He married a German girl, Inge, and brought her back to post-war Hockley; thereafter she shared his service life in many parts of the world.

I don't know if anyone might be interested in this story of the life and service of this Brummie soldier and his family but I have now put it online, here: http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/DotherReminiscences18522WarksEasthope.htm (It's safe to click on).

Chris

EasthopeandInge.jpg

Last edited:
lovely write up chris however coming from the area i cant say as ive heard of a st john st..just wondering if it was either new john st or new john st west...however there was a john st at the top of where i lived in villa st but it was only small and i dont think it would have gone up to no 250...all this would need to be checked though..

lyn

Lyn
In 1945 and after Clara & Harold Easthope , according to electoral rolls , lived at 250 New John St West

Lyn
In 1945 and after Clara & Harold Easthope , according to electoral rolls , lived at 250 New John St West
thanks mike i guessed it would be new john st west...maybe chris can edit his online info to give the correct address

lyn

Thank you, Lyn and Mike. An eagle eye and just what was needed!

Got mixed up with my "St.s"! Now corrected and an acknowledgement to BHF.

Chris

Last edited:
Back