• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

the last farewell print

eddlowe

master brummie
evening all.
the wife has purchased a couple of prints today in a charity shop, one is the barton arms with a tram going past and it is signed davron 1983 no problem know where that is next one is called the last farewell birminghams last tramcar, showing a tram with the route no 2 and fleet no 616, across the front of the tram the words the end. this print also by davron 1984 my query is what is the road it looks like Lichfield rd to me with ansells in the far distance or is it a fictional drawing, they are both lovely framed prints and will soon be nailed to the wall with the aid of a brummagem screwdriver. perhaps one of our transport experts could throw some light on the subject. thanks edd.

I would guess it was this one that he is querying. certaianly the details on the tram (no, fleet no and writing on front) correspond well to pictures labelled last tram not quite sure of the surroundings though

last_birm_tram.jpg

I have this picture and I always think it is past Aston Cross. Wonderful detailed picture. Thye No.2 tram ran from Erdington Terminus all he way through
via Erdington by pass, Gravelly Hill, Salford Bridge, Lichfield Road to Aston Cross and on up Aston Road North then beyond into town. Same route coming back.

Last edited:
that is the exact one mike, thank,s not sure how to put my print on eric, if you look in the distance it reminds me of the outline of ansells building a sight you took for granted being an aston kid
edd

The bus is the 40a which ran to Lozells along Victoria Road, is it the junction of Lichfield Rd and Victoria Rd?

vaguely looks like junction of Lichfield Rd/Victoria Rd, my Wife worked there in Taylors Toy shop. I think the brickwork would have been red, maybe he based his painting on a black and white photo, I often do. Eric

Hi cookie
Yes you are quite correct its definitely the junction of Lichfield. Road and Victoria road and church lane would be directly on the right
But the right hand is where the car sales was it was a big car dealership
But emediately on the left where you say taylors shop was but the remediate shop corner you can see was a lady's clothes shop
So walking area paces along the Lichfield road from that corner two doors from there was Taylors toy shop
Because that lady's shop which you can see took the whole corner but as I said walking back along the frontage of that shop there was one little gents shop door way
Where I bought a high Woolie navel sweater for a dear price which I saved my money for to get one it took me four weeks wages to save to buy it
And right emediately stepping out of that door way was Mr Taylors toy shop
And may I add in that picture which you cannot. See is the vine pub I was one of those kids when that picture was taken even thou in the picture its painted figures

many thanks all. it looks like my suspicions were correct about it being Lichfield rd , pretty much confirmed by nicks film (great find nick ). edd

Here are two stills from the film, one from the same place as the print just before tram comes into view, the second as the tram is passing at around the same place.

from_last_tram_film_1.jpg

from_last_tram_film_2.jpg

Hi. There cookie
Did old Mr Taylor have a wife I always thought he did but maybe the lady you mentionind your wife was the little lady whom always serve my dad many times
Some times in the shop she came out from the back most times but as amid then I suppose one would think she is the lady of the shop
Well she certainly served me loads of times from my nipper days and my old man even my mother used togotndrefor little things
He always had an high counter because of his glass cabin nets around I lived at 5/92 Lichfield road about five hundred yards from Taylor
Best wishes astonian,,,,,,,,,,

Astonian, yes he was married, but once he employed my Wife she very rarely came in, his Wife was small but my Wife was 5' 8" and much younger so you may have been dealing with his Wife before my Wife worked there. They lived in Curdworth and his Mom Ada lived in Hillside Road Erdington and when she died in 1962 we bought the house from him and lived there until 1987. Sorry all for going off thread. Eric

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
While talking of trams, I can only just remember them as being born 1945. We lived in Great Barr and coming home from then city the tram had to finish at Perry Barr station as it was to heavy to go over the bridge so we walked over the bridge to Perry Barr dog track had caught a Midland Red bus either 119 or 118 as the corporation bus did not go to the Scot Arms. I stayed on the tram to watch while the back of seats were knocked over and the over head poles changed.
A couple of things (can anyone help) was there a tram garage down by Villa park and also by Villa park my mom and dad would take me to the Onion Fair so I could go on the rides etc.

My mom and dad were nearly in tears, and my Nan called the bus, (The Car), till she passed, very popular and , to day very green form of transport and cheap. I loved to sit with dad on the upper front seat and lower the window all the way down so the wind blew in my face, all up the Bristol Road to the Lickys. Paul

Brumone, Yes Witton Tram Depot was right down by the Island opposite side of road to Villa Park, it later became a tram museum but that as now gone. Pat Collins Onion fair was held every September on open ground known locally as the 'tip' entrance between Aston Parish church and Aston Tavern pub. Eric

Back