• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Lamp Tavern Barford Street

ive heard this is one of the smallest pubs in brum...just one room to it....taken today

the lamp tavern..barford st..

Attachments

• Highgate Lamp Tavern Bardord St.JPG
    Highgate Lamp Tavern Bardord St.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 11
Blimey, you've really done the rounds today! The Lamp was my parents' favourite 'town' pub, where they'd go on Sunday evenings. My dad knew the gaffer in the 1970's, very nice bloke, but I'm blowed if I can remember his name other than it was Bob.

Big Gee

hi big gee..ive worn myself out today..a good 4 and half hours taking pics..really enjoyed it though...

lyn

Theres a man on the forum, whose Grandparents run that pub for years, 60s I think, Christy Delaney, I lived not far from there and knew Christy's family

It was a pub in the 1911 census, not named but George Phillips was the manager, and he and his wife and 8 of their 9 surviving children lived there as well. You think it's cramped now?
It looks as though it was converted at some stage from one of the terraced houses that filled this area, almost all now gone and the area is light commercial.
I used top work in Barford St in the early 70s, and used the Lamp a few times. It was owned by an Irishman who ran a scrapyard further down Barford St (towards Moseley St) called Kieron or something similar. It seemed to be open 24/7 from when he took it over till when the licence was taken from him, if he wasn't there you helped yourself and left the money on a shelf behind the bar!

The Lamp, when the Friends of the Froth Blowers visited in Nov 2009.

Dscf5319.jpg

Dscf5321.jpg

Dscf5322.jpg

Last edited:
crikey bri what a selection of drinks for such a small pub....great pics.....

lyn

Hi There Guys
The lamp never went out of beer nor punters and never closed when mrs owens owned the lamp way back in the seventys and eightys
i can tell you that as i knew the owens from when hey started to take on the pub scenes and bulding there empire of pubs and she stared to get people to run it for her
and pay them wages she was a very god bussiness woman and she knew how to run pubs and ruthless with people she would only employ experience people whom was a tough character and honest but she would get peoplle whom was known around the ciruit of he trade and the subject of kerion i also know he also worked for another old friend leaving there and that was for liam occonor at the blarney stone abit wet behind the ears but he done his best worked hard he end up running a couple of pubs for liam
take care best wishes astonian

Its still a lovely little boozer, the current landlord, Eddie, has been there a good few years now. I'm still unsure as to the relevance of Lilly Lantrey's next door, or is it just the name of the smoking area?

Hi Steve.the Lamp tavern used to be a great little pub. had many a good time in there.
what Lilly Langtrey'snext doors for i don't really know.
Regards.
Richard

The back room of the Lamp (Lilly Langtrey's) was so named by the then landlord Roger Lazell. Roger was a familiar face around the 'gay' community in Birmingham. He had the back room renovated witha domed roof light. This was used for various functions including, live music, parties, etc. Named Lilly Langtreys in memory of the infamous actress and socialite.

Now owned by Eddie Fitzgerald....has been for years......Eddie featured in papers in Birmingham riots, when a gang pushed him down cellar steps and he landed on boxes of crisps....very lucky ......he usually exhibits and drives his classic Rolls Royce in St Patricks day parade in Digbeth

Back