• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Ladder

Post WW2 many youngsters it seems played on bomb sites and ruins. Twenty or so years later they had demolition sites and derelict properties to play in. Today, anywhere resembling that would be cordoned off with large metal fencing, which to me looks more ugly than derelict buildings. :eek:

Last edited:
The building at the end is the Bellefield Garage, I'm fairly sure it's still there!
rosie.

Postie
Surely it was taken in Cape St, as Bellefield garage was in Winson St, and Cape st ran off Winson St opposite garage

Postie
Surely it was taken in Cape St, as Bellefield garage was in Winson St, and Cape st ran off Winson St opposite garage

Mike you are right, The Bellfield Garage was next door to the Bellfield Inn where I dated the gaffers daughter for a short while in the early 60's.

Bellfield Inn 1976.jpg

The angle of that ladder looks dodgy. The boy's wearing wellingtons, maybe he didn't have shoes. Even though kids today are more likely to have shoes, I found with my kids they always preferred wellies; easy to put on by yourself and can cover any terrain. Viv.

Dating the gaffers daughter for a free pint? I dated a butchers daughter once & i treated her something offal. ;)

You are joking, he wouldn't even let me in the pub, I was only 16 and she was the same age. If I had said I was 18 he would have said I was too old to date his daughter. So whilst my mates sat in the bar with a pint I sat in the living quarters with a cup of tea. Why do you think I said I only dated her for a short while?

Viv
I can remember, though it would have been a bit earlier than these photos, that some less well-off kids at school only had wellingtons

e67a237331f55dbbeb750f55f93cfbabe70e3f10.jpg

This guy seemed only to have 'wellies'. :D

Back