• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Lad In The Lane The Green Man

Anybody know Why the ‘Lad in the lane ‘ was called the ‘green man ‘ my Uncle Fred from Round road Erdington used that pub for many years ,For many years I thought he walked with a limp because he was drunk until I stayed with my aunt Bet and uncle Fred and saw his spare leg( complete with Sock) hanging on the inside of the spare bedroom door .oh what a lovely couple they were , Happy days

Possibly this Jeannie ?

“The Green Man is another name which is steeped in English folk-lore and is portrayed as a face peering out of, or in some cases made of, foliage. It is likely that he is a relic of pagan times, perhaps representing fertility or some form of nature spirit, but the image was taken up with relish by Christians, being a frequent motif in carvings in churches and abbeys. The survival of the Green Man probably reflects the decision on the part of the early Christians to adapt local customs rather than extirpate them completely” (from window through time site)

Viv

Possibly this Jeannie ?

“The Green Man is another name which is steeped in English folk-lore and is portrayed as a face peering out of, or in some cases made of, foliage. It is likely that he is a relic of pagan times, perhaps representing fertility or some form of nature spirit, but the image was taken up with relish by Christians, being a frequent motif in carvings in churches and abbeys. The survival of the Green Man probably reflects the decision on the part of the early Christians to adapt local customs rather than extirpate them completely” (from window through time site)

Viv
Thank you Viv ,amazing how some buildings have stayed for years and others gone

Heartland, your post #10 mentions the Hailstone family. I have a note which says that the publican of the Erdington Arms in the 1830's was a Hailstone. Perhaps it was a leg-up for the same one or maybe the family were all in the same trade. Unusual name though.

This one nearly disappeared (to be replaced by a new building nearby) in 1939 Jeannie. A little bit of interesting history about it. The name Lad in the Lane wasn’t it’s ‘official’ name, at least up until 1939. It seems to have been variously known as The Green Man, the Old Green Man and Ye Olde Green Man through time. Viv.

5870057B-A3B6-428E-9B63-2B31EB2C2C2C.jpeg

How did they manage to save it Viv? I suppose this was in the days before protest meetings etc?

Does this transfer of licence date from when they limited the number of pubs in the early 20thC or did it happen before?
Interesting to see the words 'change-houses', I should think this was to do with horses but happy to be put right!
Thinking of all the wealthy landowners (Erdington Hall, Wood End House etc) living nearby, do you think this pub was used by the estate workers? Sorry, lots of questions but perhaps someone has a few thoughts?

Shall need to do a bit more research Lady P. A change house is described as an inn or ale house, but would think it refers to the availability of fresh horses too. Viv.

Here’s the answer to why the building survived. WW2 intervened, the building was shelved, then by January 1955 it was considered too costly to rebuild - hip hip hooray ! Viv.

Attachments

• 2C98201D-5B4E-47A7-9C3B-CFA77F45859E.jpeg
    2C98201D-5B4E-47A7-9C3B-CFA77F45859E.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 15
Dendro dating was done at the Lad in 2006 and a pamphlet done and sold behind the bar for the Children's hospital charity. I think enough time has passed too put it on here.
Scan.jpgScan2.jpgScan3.jpg
Scan4.jpgScan5.jpgScan6.jpg

The Lad In The Lane/ The Old Green Man.

#1 - The Lad In The Lane/ The Old Green Man - c1895.
Lad in the lane - 1895.jpg

#2 - The Lad In The Lane/ The Old Green Man - c1931.
lad in the lane - 1931.jpg

#3 - The Lad In The Lane/ The Old Green Man - c1939.

Lad in the lane - 1939.jpg

#4 - The Lad In The Lane/ The Old Green Man.
Lad in the lane (1).jpg

#5 - The Lad In The Lane/ The Old Green Man.

Lad in the lane (2).jpg

The Lad In The Lane/ The Old Green Man.

#6 - The Lad In The Lane/ The Old Green Man.
Lad in the lane (3).jpg

#7 - The Lad In The Lane/ The Old Green Man.
Lad in the lane (4).jpg

#8 - The Lad In The Lane/ The Old Green Man.
Lad in the lane (5).jpg

#9 - The Lad In The Lane/ The Old Green Man.
Lad in the lane (6).jpg

I walked up Bromford Lane towards Erdington and got these photos of the Lad in the Lane. Grade II listed building under the Tyburn ward. Former name Old Green Man Inn.

Pub sign

Seen from the other side of the dual carriageway.

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.u...he-lane-public-house-tyburn-ward#.XDJQAs3gqUm

Listing Text

BROMFORD LANE
Erdington B8
The Lad in the Lane
Public House
(formerly listed as
Old Green Man Inn)
SP 19 SW 4/2 25.4.52
II
Founded 1306. One of the oldest inns in the country. The existing building
of C14/C15 origin but much altered and enlarged in the 1930s. Timber framed,
open hall of 3 bays divided by a cruck truss, considerably cut about and
with modern rafters and studding. Two more pairs of crucks in the south
wall. At the north end is a 2 storey crosswing, probably of early C16 build,
close studded with jowled corner posts. Cambered tie beam and collar with
raking struts to central truss, exposed storey posts. Externally the west
gable of wing has close studding with curved braces. Modern brick infill
and fenestration.

Listing NGR: SP1127390775

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

I wonder what will happen to that lovely building, I have some happy memories of that place, both with my uncle Fred from Round Road and a few years later with my first love ,thanks for the pics

Back