• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Kingstanding

anyone remember any of the people who used the snooker hall on the circle during the 70s

The strangest thing about the Kingstanding Circle was having a bus stop on a roundabout, absolute madness, especially when there is snow about. I see from the wonderful photos that people have posted that it has always been so and was probably not so bad in the 50s. People are also allowed to park on the roundabout outside KFC, no idea how many accidents have been caused.

My dad was born in Sidcup Road in the 30s and has some great memories of Kingstanding, I can't say I remember the original pub, but I remember the 70s one. The Odean was a 'mecca' (excuse the pun) for the kids in the 30s and 40s who would flock to see the pictures on the big screen (my mom & dad included)

Yes I remember going to the snooker hall at Kingstanding with a boyfriend. I didn't play though!

I used to play in there a lot in the 70s Wendy, Used to watch Graham Miles there too. Alway's on table 1 he was. Won a Raffle there once too a case of wine tasted like vinegar.

Small world eh Reg. Sorry about the wine we often had cheap wine like that. In the struggling years we put sugar in it to make it taste better. The trouble is it never did!

Ha Ha Reg no it didn't it was rubbish but we were young and easily pleased:D:D:D!

Entrance to the Air Raid shelter, on Kingstanding Road, Kingstanding, as mentioned on a different thread :)

Thanks for posting Dave. I'm amazed there's anything of the shelter left. That's great. Viv.

This Air Raid Shelter to be found on Marsh Lane

It's interesting that these are still around. I also remember seeing brick built shelters with flat concrete roofs around too. Maybe we need a new 'Air Raid Shelter' thread on this topic. Thanks for posting the photos Dave. Viv.

Viv the other one that I know, there must be more, is on College road, Chester Rd end, could not find the pics today :(

Many thanks Dave. I've started a new thread for air raid shelters so you might like to post there if you find anything else. Regards Viv.

Back