• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Kingshurst.

kmt123

master brummie
Does anyone remember going to the kingshurst pub, i would love to hear your stories if you did, :biggrin:
kerry

My Wife used to live on Kingshurst. Her Father always used the Toby on the Chester road rather than the Kinshurst, not sure why.

Morning all,

I lived by the Kingshurst from about '66 to '72 and I suppose started my drinking career there at about 17!

One of the landlords at that time was "Fat George" who later ran another of my old haunts, The Cheshire (Cat) in Shard End.

George kept, in my opinion, the finest Ansells mild in Birmingham both at the Kingshurst and Cat and was a sort of prototype Al Murray Pub Landlord character who stood for no nonsense and believed that food in pubs was either in packets or in the pie warmer. A "brown & mild" was classed as a cocktail in those places.

I recall he used to put local bands on stage in the Kingshurst's lounge on Sunday evenings which meant a few dozen of their mates would pop in.

Last edited by a moderator:
i lived in redwood house in 1989.and used the kingshurst pub,in the summer after a few we would have a swim in the lake.

did that landlord and his not so happy wife,who kept trowing me out the scotman in tamworth take over. lovely woman she thought
pete

I'm not sure, i just wanted to know if the people who ran it had a son called Eddie.

A chap called Terry Smith ran it for a while, Big Tel, an ex-Redcoat, I was led to believe. It closed soon after.
Several years later he took on the Two Hands, Kitsland Road, Shard End. That lasted rather longer than the Kingshurst.....but still closed.

Emerging pattern?

Ian

H[ kmpt
i used to drink im the kingshurst inthe early days of the pub i used to live
directly across the rd in wingfield house there was a big difference
in the clientel of the pubs the toby was the better pub
it well was worth walking down overgreen rd and walking back late of a nightthere was bnever any trouble andthe only bus available was the midland red no 160 there was no other bus out that way them it was very isolated area no car you was in limbo land ,astonian

H[ kmpt
it well was worth walking down overgreen rd and walking back late of a nightthere was bnever any trouble andthe only bus available was the midland red no 160 there was no other bus out that way them it was very isolated area no car you was in limbo land ,astonian
My Father in Law used to spend many a happy hour in the Toby, you may have know him George Mann (Max). Used to live in Laburnam.

H[ kmpt

Amazing where you lived. Was just looking up Kingshurst Pubs. I was born in Kingshurst, lived their for 27 yrs, nr The Punch Bowl. Since then my journey to trace my family, amazing, some very sad. Strange where we end up. My mate who went to Fordbridge Sch, we were 4 is coming to see us soon. Thank you for all your help. When im fed up and bored always find something new. Think the only pubs le ft are The Punch B and The Toby Jug. Havnt traced where my grandfather was buried, Harold Davis. In tragic accident on new years eve at Minworth. Amazing you lived in Kingshurst. Once again thanks for a great site and all your time and patience. Keith.

Morning all,

I lived by the Kingshurst from about '66 to '72 and I suppose started my drinking career there at about 17!

One of the landlords at that time was "Fat George" who later ran another of my old haunts, The Cheshire (Cat) in Shard End.

George kept, in my opinion, the finest Ansells mild in Birmingham both at the Kingshurst and Cat and was a sort of prototype Al Murray Pub Landlord character who stood for no nonsense and believed that food in pubs was either in packets or in the pie warmer. A "brown & mild" was classed as a cocktail in those places.

I recall he used to put local bands on stage in the Kingshurst's lounge on Sunday evenings which meant a few dozen of their mates would pop in.
George Clewer and his wife Joan had the Kingshurst in the late 60's early 70's - Happy memories!

Morning all,

fat george yer i remember him im both pubs. and got banned from both pubs

fat george yer i remember him im both pubs. and got banned from both pubs
I used to work in the Kingshurst pub when George & Joan ran it, in fact I met my hubby there who played in the band. He wasn't a bad old stick, he gave us the room for free when we had our wedding reception there in 1972

Back