• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Jewellery Quarter

Welcome Ron, Try a search. It will bring up many references to the Jewellery Quarter, such as this one.
You will also find references in the districts and streets, such as Vyse Street and many in the Then and Now and similar threads.
There is a lot here on the Forum.

A Free exhibition at the Ikon Gallery:

26 October to 10 November: Still: Stories from the Jewellery Quarter exhibition

A new exhibition is exploring the past and present experiences of those who spend their lives working in this important and historic area of Birmingham.

Bringing together photographic portraits and oral histories from the heart of the Jewellery Quarter, the exhibition provides a unique insight into Birmingham’s cultural and industrial heritage. The exhibition is inspired by people who have spent their lives working in an area within the Jewellery Quarter covering just six streets – Frederick Street, Warstone Lane, Legge Lane, Albion Street, Vittoria Street and Regent Place. Focusing on an area which is experiencing intense change, the exhibition provides the opportunity to consider and reflect on the lives and memories of some of those who have helped give the iconic area its unique character.

The exhibition is being held at Iron House Gallery and is open Mondays to Saturdays from 10am to 5pm.

Free to attend.

There will also be a series of events and activities to support the exhibition, see website for further details at th.jewelleryquarter.net/StillJQ

There is a talk by Carl Chinn to go with the exhibition, but unfortunately this is full up
Wish i d known . wish id known about this site sooner.

Did anyone ever work in the Jewellery Quarter? I worked there when I was in my early teens for a bloke called Ronnie Broadhead. He had a workshop in Northampton Street. I used to run errands for him. He'd give me a note for some firm or other and when I got there they would give me half a dozen emeralds, a few rubies, a couple of sapphires maybe and an assortment of diamonds, all 'on appro'. Next day i would take back the the ones he didnt use. Talk about trusting? it would never happen today.

I also used to sweep the workshop for him and take the sweeping to Sheffield Smelt (Warston Lane I think) who paid a good price for floor sweepings. They would burn off the dirt and extract the gold shavings. Nothing was wasted.

Also, if anyone has a picture of Northampton Street (preferably pre 1970), I'd appreciate a copy. I'm writing something for the site on this topic which I hope to deliver in the next couple of weeks (honest Rod).
I used to help out in the school hol s. join and contact me. There was a few work shops

I used to help out in the school hol s. join and contact me. There was a few work shops
I worked in the jewelry quarter when I was about 13 / 14 part time after school ( full time in the school holidays ), F C Parry @ Spencer st. They made RAOB buffaloes regalia. I got the job because a local hard knock who worked there had to go to borstal and he gave me the info that a job was available. I stayed there till i left school 15 .Then I got a Job just outside the jewelry quarter in york terrace Hockley as an apprentice toolmaker. That would be about 1965-1967 when i worked there.

Last edited:
Hi Guys , I am looking for any info on James Harrison of Tenby Street, Birmingham . I have just brought a ring of his dated 1912 . Please see the photo . There does not seem much info on the net about him .
Kind regards Steve

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    532.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.png
    1.png
    523.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.png
    1.png
    753 KB · Views: 19
thats a nice ring....hopefully someone can help you with a little bit of history about its maker

lyn

James Harrison and Sons were at Tenby Street until at least 1940 according to adverts for job vacancies in the British Newspaper Archive. So a successful business. They also produced lockets. Viv

James Harrison & Sons was founded in 1880 at 15 Tenby St. Around 1942 they moved to the former premises of Manton & Mole at 63 Warston lane;m They were still there in 1973, but went into receivership around 1991

(Grace Guide)...James Harrison and Sons

of Tenby Street Works, Birmingham. Telephone: Central 2734. Cables: "Ringwork, Birmingham"
  • 1929 Listed Exhibitor British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of 18ct. Gem Rings, all prices and kinds. 18ct. and 9ct. Signet Rings, ladies' and gent.'s; 9ct. Brooches; 15ct. and 9ct. Earrings. 18ct and 9ct. Sleeve Links. Birmingham Jewellers' and Silversmiths' Association Member. (Stand Nos. J.43 and J.54) [1]

Hi please can you help me, I'm trying to find out what happened to H&H harri & hunt in tenby street, they were jewellery makers I've looked everywhere, I know they were there in the 70s, thanks guys for any help

The gates to the Jewellery Ouarter Business Centre (Michael Johnson, 1991).

(95, Spencer Street.)

“This redevelopment, by the Duchy of Cornwall, is closely linked with Prince Charles. and has been a focus for HRH the Prince of Wales's ideas on the regeneration of inner city areas. The development provides modern office and industrial premises for a wide range of different businesses. The £2.5 million development…includes an unusual sculpture in the form of the entrance gates to the reception area. These are constructed from stainless steel and brass, which relate to the traditional silver and gold of the jewellery industry; cut glass 'jewels' are incorporated in the design which is meant to represent the 'tree of life’.”

Positively Birmingham by Berg, Jonathan. Publication date 1994

61115490-F786-4A93-B047-4AEBA6752D54.jpeg

Back