• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Jewellery Quarter

Bob, rotated those couple for you,
In the previous post 5A, is the George & Dragon Pub, 12 Albion Street/Carver Street

Attachments

• JEWELLERY QUARTER 2AR.jpg
    JEWELLERY QUARTER 2AR.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 8
  • JEWELLERY QUARTER 6AR.jpg
    JEWELLERY QUARTER 6AR.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
1A is 42 Caroline St
2A is 4-5 Mary St
3A is directly almost opposite at 29 Mary St
as shown on map

map c1950 showing 4-5 and 29 Mary St.jpg

4A is the same building as I photographed in around 1970, though this is a better photo. I quote from what I wrote then:
This is no 45 Frederick St, which is a converted house built about 1820 with large grounds which in about 1880 were sold off and built on. The house became the factory for Robinson & McKewan , jewellers & silversmiths

6A seems familiar, but I cannot place it

Hi mikejee
Thanks for information. I wish I could remember when I took the photographs. It was obviously with a small basic camera as the quality is not good. I think I was trying to capture old Jewellery Quarter empty factories before they were demolished to make way for modern monstrosities!

Hi mikejee
Thanks for information. I wish I could remember when I took the photographs. It was obviously with a small basic camera as the quality is not good. I think I was trying to capture old Jewellery Quarter empty factories before they were demolished to make way for modern monstrosities!

Great photos!
The quality isn't bad at all.

We took a walk around the Jewellery Quarter yesterday and took photographs of a couple of things. I'll put them on the forum as separate items. Firstly, I hadn't walked down Warstone Lane for some and was slightly shocked to see this building. There's a bar on the corner and a coffee shop next door but it was the building material that stopped me in my tracks. Maybe they thought it was in keeping with the grey of the cemetery offices - I don't know. It's actually darker than it looks in the photos. Can anyone remember what was there until recently please?

JQ1.jpgJQ2.jpgJQ3.jpg

The second item was in Regent Place heading towards Vittoria Street. I was surprised to see a long hoarding and again couldn't remember what was there before. Post Office tower in the second photo. I was hoping that the name on the side of the building in picture 3 would be readable but it isn't. Sorry. Once you've passed the bend the hoarding goes almost along the whole of that side of the street.

JQ4.jpgJQ5.jpgJQ6.jpg

We took a walk around the Jewellery Quarter yesterday and took photographs of a couple of things. I'll put them on the forum as separate items. Firstly, I hadn't walked down Warstone Lane for some and was slightly shocked to see this building. There's a bar on the corner and a coffee shop next door but it was the building material that stopped me in my tracks. Maybe they thought it was in keeping with the grey of the cemetery offices - I don't know. It's actually darker than it looks in the photos. Can anyone remember what was there until recently please?

View attachment 154424View attachment 154425View attachment 154426
This was it in 2017 when the building was up for sale. I think it might be the same but windows made larger and grey coated.
Just checked and planning permission was given in 2018 for larger windows and refurbishment of the building.

Attachments

• Warstone Lane.JPG
    Warstone Lane.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The second item was in Regent Place heading towards Vittoria Street. I was surprised to see a long hoarding and again couldn't remember what was there before. Post Office tower in the second photo. I was hoping that the name on the side of the building in picture 3 would be readable but it isn't. Sorry. Once you've passed the bend the hoarding goes almost along the whole of that side of the street.

View attachment 154427View attachment 154428View attachment 154429
The writing says Deakin and Francis and the building missing looks in part to be a modern building.

Attachments

• Deakin and Francis.JPG
    Deakin and Francis.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 7
  • missing building.JPG
    missing building.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 7
Thanks Janice, It's a relief to know that they didn't demolish an attractive building to put the one near the cemetery up. However, I do feel that the dark grey doesn't add to the area. It reminded me of one of those WW2 lookout posts you see on the coast sometimes. Lets hope they put something up a little more in keeping in Regent Place. They've erected some offices recently in the same street on the opposite side and they're much better.

You are right lady P that it is not very much in keeping, but frankly I think it is more attractive in general than what it replaced, which was just like a plain warehouse on an industrial estate

They did include photos of that coloured buildings in their application. Permission was given with the only thing I could see (I don't understand all the formal wording) was checks were to be made on materials used as the conversion went along.
Do agree it is a relief that attractive buildings don't seem to have been bulldozed here.
I will see if I can find out was is going up in Regent Place but must do other things and not stay on Forum too long :D - tempting though it is.

Last edited:
If I have read things properly - permission was given to demolish the buildings (described as mid 20th century) in November 2020. Planning permission for the land which extends to Northwood Street is under consideration - looks like apartments.
I can't see a final decision and the last application is dated March of this year.

View attachment 154424View attachment 154425View attachment 154426
Wasnt the Vittoria Restaurant on the corner of Warstone Lane and Frederick Street

Carolina, I wasn't sure what the cafe was called. Mike has the one I mean as Hall's cafe, not the Vittoria on another thread. I used to meet my then boyfriend at lunchtime for coffee in there. I didn't go to the Jewellery Qtr for ages and the next time I went there was just rubble and an empty space with the building used to be and I was told it had collapsed. I'm sure there's a picture somewhere on the forum.

Carolina, I wasn't sure what the cafe was called. Mike has the one I mean as Hall's cafe, not the Vittoria on another thread. I used to meet my then boyfriend at lunchtime for coffee in there. I didn't go to the Jewellery Qtr for ages and the next time I went there was just rubble and an empty space with the building used to be and I was told it had collapsed. I'm sure there's a picture somewhere on the forum.
We had some really great meals there - I do have a photo myself in there standing with a very large bottle of champagne.

If I have read things properly - permission was given to demolish the buildings (described as mid 20th century) in November 2020. Planning permission for the land which extends to Northwood Street is under consideration - looks like apartments.
I can't see a final decision and the last application is dated March of this year.
Janice, thanks for all your hard work researching the properties I mentioned. It's quite a large piece of land in Regent Place but I have high hopes now especially as it stretches down to Northwood St.

I have merged two other threads into this one for tidiness. I have just received a copy of a new magazine called the Jewellery Quarter Magazine. It has some very interesting items in it and very good quality photographs. A little pricey perhaps at £6, but very interesting.

ScreenHunter 2525.jpg

Here are a varied selection of photographs taken in and around the Jewellery Quarter in the late 70's and early 80's. Many of these scenes will not have changed that much other than the business signs and the vehicles parked outside them. Have fun identifying the locations (the first one is of Ludgate Hill I think)!
1630417231711.png
1630417291470.png
1630417352902.png
1630417389393.png
1630417465480.png
1630417498528.png

Back