• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Articles: The Iron Room, Birmingham Libraries. Recent Articles

In my opinion, that is a disappointing response, someone being just dam right idle. Corals are a website developer. It’s the council and the library who should be deciding what the content is.

This is a super opportunity to grow and develop a record of Birmingham past, but the best the library staff can do is pass the buck.

I would be tempted to take this up with on of the elected members.

Probably related to them. Gambling sites are very good at attracting those easily conned, and that would fit the council library administration

Last edited:
The Birmingham Libraries, Iron Room, Feb 21 informs, Employment and Dyche…

The Dyche collection is one of the archives’ largest photographic collections, containing approximately 10,000 photos and negatives…

upcoming exhibition starting next month…From City of Empire to City of Diversity exhibition (opens at the Library of Birmingham on 18 March 2022) will follow the story of migration to Birmingham during the Victorian Empire through Dyche’s career, and also includes some work from the period after his studio was in operation. It aims to show how migration has helped shape the city of Birmingham into the city it is today. It’s through the people who worked in transport and nursing that this change can really be highlighted due to the pride these people show in their portraits and their context within this history.

My experience of Kickstart in Archives & Collections.

A different kind of article from the Iron Room…“Under the scheme, announced by Chancellor Rishi Sunak as part of his Plan for Jobs…”

Very interesting account of working in the Archives - I hope they are able to find some permanent work.

Wonderful article Pedro! I knew of Priestly primarily because we had a Priestly house at school. I had read some about him in England but more so when he came to the US. He was a close friend of Thomas Jefferson (one of my favorite Presidents). I can see clearly from this article why they were close, they have so much in common with science & Benjamin Franklin.
Thanks for sharing!

What I found interesting was the mention that he moved to Hackney in London after leaving Birmingham - as I live there too so now I had to check that out and I have found out where his house was in Clapton, it was demolished in 1880 and there is a row of shops there, unfortunately they haven't been able to find a photograph.
Apparently there is a Blue Plaque on the wall over the shops so I will have a look for it when I next pass!

1947 India partition, Elizabeth Cadbury.

Interesting subject! For my part and possibly I am being too sinical, I do not believe that many politicians consider anything other than an end game of self endowment to some draconian decision. Unfortunately that is particularly true today across the globe!

Includes Booth Street and Sparkbrook Adventure playgrounds from 1973 and 1963.

It looks like the photo of the Booth st Adventure playground is printed in reverse, slope should go down from left to right. See attached photos of Lord Nelson PH which was at 131 Booth st. ( I have emailed the Library to let them know)

lord nelson PH rev.jpg

Lord Nelson Inn - Booth Street - Handsworth.jpg

I purchased a couple of excellent books yesterday from a charity shop.
In and around Ladywood by Ted Rudge & Birmingham Up Town (through time) by Mac Joseph, Ted Rudge & John Houghton.
Both say "British Library Cataloguing in Publication Data" and " A catalogue record for these books is available from the British Library"
Can anyone direct me to these Catalogue Records?

“Between 1778 – 1825, Boulton & Watt supplied the Caribbean with c.200 steam engines designed for use in, amongst other places, sugar mills. The arrangement was quite a lucrative one for the company.”

Back