• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Iron Man- What happened to it?

Like many working class boys I learned how to weld or braze better than this at school and we would have avoided the rust by an oil quench or regular black leading. But it was made at Bradley and Fosters Castings Willenhall, so the appearance must have been deliberate.
It was controversial initially, with early accusations of rusting being explained as deliberate by Gormley when he stated that the type of iron used encourages surface oxidation to protect the underlying metal

It was controversial initially, with early accusations of rusting being explained as deliberate by Gormley when he stated that the type of iron used encourages surface oxidation to protect the underlying metal
Yes, Janice, I read that. Of course, the meaning of the rusty leaning Iron:Man is up to the audience. Does it suggest that metal working was in the past for Birmingham and we are left with post-industrial remains? It might, personally I'm the first male on my father's side not to be a metal worker for five generations. I know that precision engineering isn't dead in the Midlands. I can cope with the rust, but why does he have to lean? (Rhetorical question) Derek

Depends whether it is to the left or the right, and of course that depends on which side you look at him

Back