• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Ice Cream Man

Hi mw0njm,

Talking of different tastes in ice cream I remember going to both Mahon & Paphos harbours in recent years with the wife & family and sampling their ice cream; I have to admit it was delicious with real fruit in it mmm.

Lozellian
I did not need to turn the sound up on the add because I still sing it all these years later along with a Teetly Tea add and the teddy bear picnic song.

Henley was always good for a drive out and walk the high street then buy a ice cream.
One of the best things growing was a "Knickerbocker Glory" on holiday in Cornwall.
then of course a Tonibell oyster shell, we did not see the Tonibell van that often and I remember them being blue

Henley was always good for a drive out and walk the high street then buy a ice cream.
One of the best things growing was a "Knickerbocker Glory" on holiday in Cornwall.
then of course a Tonibell oyster shell, we did not see the Tonibell van that often and I remember them being blue
lewis`s in bham city.sold a great Knickerbocker Glory even had the chewing gum ball in the bottom

lewis`s in bham city.sold a great Knickerbocker Glory even had the chewing gum ball in the bottom
I can see now my mother keep't a big secret from me, not only did Santa Claus live on the top floor of Lewis's department store they also sold great ice cream.
So the best thing for me was the old wooden moving stair case Ha Ha

I can see now my mother keep't a big secret from me, not only did Santa Claus live on the top floor of Lewis's department store they also sold great ice cream.
So the best thing for me was the old wooden moving stair case Ha Ha
yer i loved wooden moving stair cases :laughing::laughing:.you dont see them now

Hello,
Just joined this forum in the hope of tracing some Verrecchia family members. They lived in Bordesley Street, Birmingham in 1870/80's. They came from Cardito, Vallerotonda, Italy in about 1872. There were two brothers Pasquale and Filippo Verrecchia. Love to hear from any Verrecchia's out there.

I remember when the Walls ice cream man came around the streets on a bike with a fridge on the front.

He used to unwrap a bar of icecream kept in greaseproof paper and put it between two wafer biscuits,beautiful.
I remember this too! They used to come up Alexander Ave in Handsworth. There was also a pop man, who bought these 'huge' prob not that big, kind of glass bottle jars of pop, we had them once in a while.

Every sat night the mister whippy. came around, and so did alpine pop truck. we bought a crate of mixed pops.:yum

Hello,
Just joined this forum in the hope of tracing some Verrecchia family members. They lived in Bordesley Street, Birmingham in 1870/80's. They came from Cardito, Vallerotonda, Italy in about 1872. There were two brothers Pasquale and Filippo Verrecchia. Love to hear from any Verrecchia's out there.

I remember this too! They used to come up Alexander Ave in Handsworth. There was also a pop man, who bought these 'huge' prob not that big, kind of glass bottle jars of pop, we had them once in a while.
And they came down Radnor Rd in Handsworth, the pop man was most likely the Corona man as Radiorails points out!

Could Severo Verrecchia be connected to my relatives in Bordesley Street in late 1870's and 80's? Filippo and Pasquale, as I know they made ice-cream too.

Back