• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Ice Cream Man

Hello,
Just joined this forum in the hope of tracing some Verrecchia family members. They lived in Bordesley Street, Birmingham in 1870/80's. They came from Cardito, Vallerotonda, Italy in about 1872. There were two brothers Pasquale and Filippo Verrecchia. Love to hear from any Verrecchia's out there.

I remember when the Walls ice cream man came around the streets on a bike with a fridge on the front.

He used to unwrap a bar of icecream kept in greaseproof paper and put it between two wafer biscuits,beautiful.
I remember this too! They used to come up Alexander Ave in Handsworth. There was also a pop man, who bought these 'huge' prob not that big, kind of glass bottle jars of pop, we had them once in a while.

Every sat night the mister whippy. came around, and so did alpine pop truck. we bought a crate of mixed pops.:yum

Hello,
Just joined this forum in the hope of tracing some Verrecchia family members. They lived in Bordesley Street, Birmingham in 1870/80's. They came from Cardito, Vallerotonda, Italy in about 1872. There were two brothers Pasquale and Filippo Verrecchia. Love to hear from any Verrecchia's out there.

I remember this too! They used to come up Alexander Ave in Handsworth. There was also a pop man, who bought these 'huge' prob not that big, kind of glass bottle jars of pop, we had them once in a while.
And they came down Radnor Rd in Handsworth, the pop man was most likely the Corona man as Radiorails points out!

Could Severo Verrecchia be connected to my relatives in Bordesley Street in late 1870's and 80's? Filippo and Pasquale, as I know they made ice-cream too.

Back