• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Ice Cream Man

Sue,

Even in this north eastern part of Crete, the best ice cream by far is Italian. By sheer coincidence, the Greek guy that owns the shop in Aghios Nikolaos lives in our village, so I always get a chunky discount whenever he's on duty himself. :)

Maurice :cool:

I seem to remember (could be mistaken) going for ice soft cream at Lewisis after my mom finished shopping. That was my incentive to behave :-(

The best ice cream that I was aware of, around the 1950 area, was obtainable in Henley-in-Arden.
It was well worth a ten mile, or so, cycle ride to get it. The trip was combined with train spotting, canal towpath cycling and usually a pleasant young persons kind of day out. :)
Back in the 50s another place, famed for its ice cream, was Portway, not far from Henley. My kid brother & I went there once, with our parents for an ice cream and we thought it was great. Next day all four of us were struck with diarrhoea & vomiting. Four of us sharing one toilet - we cursed that ice cream !

One of the problems with fast food, take away or any food on the hoof, is that it often eaten with unclean hands. We went into a KFC a couple of times, some while ago, and my wife commented that few people went into the washroom to wash their hands before eating. We have never been back since. Occasionally, after a buying trip in a supermarket, we buy a chocolate bar or snack but we do keep in the car an antiseptic hand gel for use of those occasions. I am not suggesting those places are unhygienic, but if you buy uncooked chickens, meats and similar products there is a good chance of contamination.

Last edited:
Alan,

An old friend would never let me take him out to dinner, however posh, when I visited Bournemouth from Crete. Even in the hotel restaurant. He always insisted that I went to his home. Yet, he used to go on cruises with his wife, admittedly under pressure, and what better place to catch salmonella or whatever than on a cruise ship! I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! :)

Maurice :cool:

One of the problems with fast food, take away or any food on the hoof, is that it often eaten with unclean hands. We went into a KFC a couple of times, some while ago, and my wife commented that few people went into the washroom to wash their hands before eating. We have never been back since. Occasionally, after a buying trip in a supermarket, we buy a chocolate bar or snack but we do keep in the car an antiseptic hand gel for use of those occasions. I am not suggesting those paces are unhygienic, but if you buy uncooked chickens, meats and similar products there is a good chance of contamination.
alan.i walked out of a macdoodals last week, while waiting for my nosebag,the girl serving started picking her face. yuk:mad:

Last edited:
Hi mw0njm,

Talking of different tastes in ice cream I remember going to both Mahon & Paphos harbours in recent years with the wife & family and sampling their ice cream; I have to admit it was delicious with real fruit in it mmm.

Lozellian
I did not need to turn the sound up on the add because I still sing it all these years later along with a Teetly Tea add and the teddy bear picnic song.

Henley was always good for a drive out and walk the high street then buy a ice cream.
One of the best things growing was a "Knickerbocker Glory" on holiday in Cornwall.
then of course a Tonibell oyster shell, we did not see the Tonibell van that often and I remember them being blue

Henley was always good for a drive out and walk the high street then buy a ice cream.
One of the best things growing was a "Knickerbocker Glory" on holiday in Cornwall.
then of course a Tonibell oyster shell, we did not see the Tonibell van that often and I remember them being blue
lewis`s in bham city.sold a great Knickerbocker Glory even had the chewing gum ball in the bottom

lewis`s in bham city.sold a great Knickerbocker Glory even had the chewing gum ball in the bottom
I can see now my mother keep't a big secret from me, not only did Santa Claus live on the top floor of Lewis's department store they also sold great ice cream.
So the best thing for me was the old wooden moving stair case Ha Ha

I can see now my mother keep't a big secret from me, not only did Santa Claus live on the top floor of Lewis's department store they also sold great ice cream.
So the best thing for me was the old wooden moving stair case Ha Ha
yer i loved wooden moving stair cases :laughing::laughing:.you dont see them now

Back