• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Ice Cream Man

F

Frantic

I remember when the first Ice Cream Man started coming round.....what an adventure.....we drove our parents nuts well before "Greensleaves" finally pushed dad over the edge. Some of the neighbours were particularly curious about the musical van, and every time it came down the road, they would come out and watch. I was a budding Rock and Roll star in those days, so I recorded the van chimes on my 'Telefunken' reel to reel, opened the window and hid my guitar amplifier behind the curtain. With a flick of a switch I could get half the street out at once ;D.......So you see folks.......I've always been like this :2funny: :2funny:

I remember when the Walls ice cream man came around the streets on a bike with a fridge on the front.

He used to unwrap a bar of icecream kept in greaseproof paper and put it between two wafer biscuits,beautiful.

You know Alberta I had forgotten those icecreams wrapped in paper, they were just oooooooooooooh............... I can taste them. :)

Those were the days
f8nicecream.gif

I know that this is a traitorous statement, but I don't think you can beat real Cornish ice cream made with clotted cream. It would be worth the trip back to get one. Yuuummmmm. :smitten:

Just like Aston, I too remember the ice-cream cartons with the little spoons. Fantastic.

I seem to remember some ice cream which I think was Lyons or Lyons Maid which was round and was wrapped in paper or carboard before it was put in the cone. (It tasted delicious).

Yes Sylvia, there as a little shop on the corner of Park Lane & Upper Thomas Street that used to sell the Lyons Ice Cream wrapped as you say, used to buy one on the way back from an afternoon flick at the ASTORIA.

The little tubs of ice cream, used to fold the lid over and use it as a scoop. ::)

My mom had a couple of what you could describe as eye wash glasses,only with a small indention in rather than a bowl I remember being told these were "penny lick"glasses.In Victorian times ice cream was sold loose and one of these glasses would contain 1 penny's worth of ice cream,which would be returned to the vendor when you had finished,seems they went out of fashion due to hygiene reasons

Colin

My big sisters used to have ice-creams wafers wrapped in paper - I got the papers to lick. :'(
Fran, I reckon Henley-in Arden ice- cream teks a bitta beating see https://tinyurl.com/qgf8u

The best stuff I've had recently was much closer to home in the tea room of Forge Mill Farm, near Sandwell Valley. Trouble is I think it was made with one of the Channel Islands' creams.

Just for Robert ->
f8nicecream.gif

Alf, the  cardboard lids used to go soggy & you finished up having to us your fingers if you had not asked for a spoon.I some time used to take my own to the Victoria Play House Saturday Matinees
::)

The lids of the tubs were waxed and you doubled them over as Postie said, before the days of the wooden spoons. :)

The man in the photo probably had the penny licks on his cart.

Yes Alfie, it must be, complete with those iron railings. It's a shame the photo didn't get him as well. :)

Back