• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Hydrostatic Van

edcartermo

master brummie
My mother's Ist great grand uncle had his nose put out by the introduction of the Hydrostatic Van as this letter of 1875 to the Birmingham Post shows. It led to an exchange of letters in the newspaper in which my ancestor defended his watering cart but the tide of history was against him. The Hydrostatic Van was purchased by Corporations across the land becoming the object of some amusement due to its rather grand title which some, including "Punch", thought pretentious for such a mundane object.

180 Great Colmore Street was the address of The Grand Junction Hotel of which John Seeley Oldham was the licensed victualler.

Attachments

• JSOldham_StreetWatering_1875.jpg
    JSOldham_StreetWatering_1875.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 26
Thank you for your kind response. Yes, the Hydrostatic Van was seen as the solution to the vexed problem of inefficient and, for many angry citizens, unfair allocation of street cleansing resources.

Back