• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Hungry Man Pub

P

Paul Ryan

I am trying to trace any mention of the Hungry Man Pub as it is where the Folk club I help to run started in 1964. I have just been sent the first membership card with the pub name on and it said it was on Broad street.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards Paul.

There used to be a "Hungry Man" licensed restaurant ar 24 Broad Street. That would be quite close to junction with King Alfred Place.

pmc1947

Just found a bit about the place.
The Hungry Man was on the corner of King Alfred Place, in front of the new Bham Rep Theatre, and it was a beerhouse for many years in the 19th century - No 24 Broad Street after the mid 1970s, No 20 before. In the 1930s it became a licensed restaurant, which it called itself until it closed in the 1960s.
Here are extracts from some Kelly's Directories:
1873 - 20 Broad St: Edward Roberts, dining rooms
1879 - [Beer retailer] Mrs Emily Richards - [Post Office]
1895 - [Beer retailer] Mrs Agnes Eaton
1921 - [Beer retailer] Herbert Sprawson
1933 - [Beer retailer] Isaac Roberts
1937-1963 - [Licensed restaurant]
1969 - not mentioned (site of new Rep) Theatre
Hope that is of interest.
Peter

Blimey, I remember going to the folk club at The Hungry Man! I also have a vague memory of seeing Harvey Andrews there, but can't be sure about this. Wow, that's going back a bit....

Big Gee

Back