• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Holte Public House Aston

1900-05 James T.Lees
1908-15 Horace Barbour
1921 C.H. Mitchell
1932-40 Charles William Morrison Nibblett
1943 William Henry Ford
Hi @mikejee,

Long shot pulling up an old message on here, but as you appear to still be active on the forum thought I'd give it a go.

Not sure if you have any further info on management of this pub during the 1910s/20s/30s, but I'm trying to verify/piece together some info from my late grandmother and her brother, who at separate times had both told me their grandfather (John Stevens Oldrey) and possibly also father (John Frederick Oldrey) had run the pub (in their words "the Holte pub at Aston Villa") at some time in this period (maybe early 1920s as my grandmother had made a comment about being in the pub the day before she was born, which would have been Dec 1923, but the info I have of dates is vague and could be before or after).

Not sure if the other bits I've heard help with the above but I know for sure they were running a couple of shops in Shaftmoor Lane, Tyseley in the 1920s/30s and there's also vague info on John Stevens Oldrey running a pub in Sutton Coldfield and a cinema in Henley in Arden and John Frederick being at the BSA and a member of Birchfield Harriers.

Any help with the above much appreciated,

Thomas

John Stephen Oldrey and John Frederick are listed at 333 Shaftmoor Lane in 1920 eroll.
1681486237792.png
They are still there in 1930 so I am not sure how they would be running The Holte in the 1920s.
By 1935 (not all years are on Ancestry) John Frederick and Madge are at 306 and John Stephen and Selina are still at 333.

In fact the Oldrey's must have been at 333 shaftmoor lane in 1918 as John Frederick and Frederick James are on the absent voters list at that address.

There was also a John Oldrey listed as a confectioner at 144 Park Road Hockley but I am not sure it is the same person.

1911 census has the Oldrey's at Shaftmoor Lane although the house has a name not a number
1681487639406.png

Last edited:
Back