• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Holte Public House Aston

Hee -Hee. Did you say a concise history? the Holt brewery had 250 pubs when they were taken over by Ansells in 1934 !
But :
The pub she was managing was the Holt (or Holte) Arms, 13 Lister St . you can just about read the “Arms” . I don’t know which site you got your census data from. I use ancestry, which has only just put on the info for 1911 for Birmingham in the last few weeks. On this can go to the next page after the page the search brings up, and if you do you see that it gives the address on what must have been the cover of her form
According to directories the pub had Thomas Henry Bills in 1910. Mary Ann Farrell in 1912 and Henry Sidwell in 1913 (Remember year on directory is year of publication. Collection of data could be 9 months or so earlier)
Mike

I know it's not in the right time-frame but my Gt Grandfather was a manager at The Holte Arms in 1898. Was it renamed "The Pot O' Beer" then "The Gosta Green"?? Or have I got the wrong one?

(He was also at "The Lord Nelson " in Thorp St. in 1900, and also "The Duke Of York" Duke St. He was Francis R. Blakemore.)

rosie.

Was your g g.father Thomas Burford. He was listed landlord of thepub in 1897-9. the pot of beer is a different pub
Mike

Thank you Mike, he was Francis R. Blakemore. I know the other 2 are right from Kelly's and Birth Certificates, so I'll change the info on my records. I've always been unsure about the Holte Arms part, and I like to keep thngs right.
rosie.

Mike have you a map showing 13 Lister St I knew the area well in the 50 -70s I cannot remember a pub.The Pot of beer became a pub after Holts were taken over by Ansells originally the building was part of Holts Offices.Dek

Dek
The pub seems to have disappeared between 1921 and 1932. It is listed in kelllys only as a beer retailer, but the census of 1911 mentioned earlier shows it was te Holte Arms then. McKenna says it was closed in 1889 !. He’s very useful, but not the first time he has killed off a pub before its time. Below is 1889 map showing it
mike
Get a red cross with coppermine, so will post it from photobucket

mapc1889HoltArmslisterst.jpg

View attachment 72193

Mikejee,
You are a genius, How on earth did you find that out i am a member of ancestry and completely missed this
info. But talking Ansells brewery my Grandfather Young was part of the brewing team up to his retirement in
1965. Again in your dept, but gratefull,

Kind Regards
Dave Y :angel:

Does anyone remember a fellow call Odder? My brother, Harold Weaver, boxed at the Holt as an amateur and I went down a few times for a good hiding. Odder was very old as far as I remember but his left hook was lethal and the right cross very nasty indeed. I never could get the hang of it and years later when I went for a medical exam for underwater diving the doctor asked me who'd broken my nose. "Odder', I said sadly, and he looked puzzled and smiled but I wasn't smiling one bit. Regards, David.

I believe my GGGM Mary Ann Farrell was a Publican with her husband James Farrell at the Oddfellows in 1901. James Farrell passed in 1908 and in the 1911 census she was Manageress for Holt Brewery.

1900-05 James T.Lees
1908-15 Horace Barbour
1921 C.H. Mitchell
1932-40 Charles William Morrison Nibblett
1943 William Henry Ford
Hi @mikejee,

Long shot pulling up an old message on here, but as you appear to still be active on the forum thought I'd give it a go.

Not sure if you have any further info on management of this pub during the 1910s/20s/30s, but I'm trying to verify/piece together some info from my late grandmother and her brother, who at separate times had both told me their grandfather (John Stevens Oldrey) and possibly also father (John Frederick Oldrey) had run the pub (in their words "the Holte pub at Aston Villa") at some time in this period (maybe early 1920s as my grandmother had made a comment about being in the pub the day before she was born, which would have been Dec 1923, but the info I have of dates is vague and could be before or after).

Not sure if the other bits I've heard help with the above but I know for sure they were running a couple of shops in Shaftmoor Lane, Tyseley in the 1920s/30s and there's also vague info on John Stevens Oldrey running a pub in Sutton Coldfield and a cinema in Henley in Arden and John Frederick being at the BSA and a member of Birchfield Harriers.

Any help with the above much appreciated,

Thomas

John Stephen Oldrey and John Frederick are listed at 333 Shaftmoor Lane in 1920 eroll.
1681486237792.png
They are still there in 1930 so I am not sure how they would be running The Holte in the 1920s.
By 1935 (not all years are on Ancestry) John Frederick and Madge are at 306 and John Stephen and Selina are still at 333.

In fact the Oldrey's must have been at 333 shaftmoor lane in 1918 as John Frederick and Frederick James are on the absent voters list at that address.

There was also a John Oldrey listed as a confectioner at 144 Park Road Hockley but I am not sure it is the same person.

1911 census has the Oldrey's at Shaftmoor Lane although the house has a name not a number
1681487639406.png

Last edited:
Back