• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Holte Public House Aston

Yes, that is good news.
Hopefully it will be sensibly run, with decent beer (Atkinson's would have been nice, so close to the old brewery).
It's interesting to note that The Holte hotel was built by the Henry George Quilter, who found the money to buy the Aston Lower Grounds after the Aston Hall Company sold off the Hall to Birmingham Corporation in 1864. Quilter was the licensee until at least 1878, but in the 1883 directory it was George Reeves-Smith, then Henry Crawford from 1895, James T Lees in 1900, Charles Barbour in 1909 and 1913, Charles William Morrison Niblett in 1933 and 1939.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a quick look on the Internet about the firm of Architects doing the job. They are in London and Manchester and hav e worked on heritage buildings before. The most info I could find and it's not very much is on the AVFC sites and in particular the
Leisure Management site https://www.leisuremanagement.co.uk...=Aston+Villa&imageField2.x=11&imageField2.y=9
where there is a small write-up on the Holte. It seems that there are plans to erect a statue of one William McGregor either at the Holte site or at the new Sports facility that is being built at the Villa grounds. You can read about that also or just Google William McGregor for info on him .

The Holte of Years ago

Attachments

• Aston Trinity Rd - Witton Lane The Holte (2).jpg
    Aston Trinity Rd - Witton Lane The Holte (2).jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 38
My dad used to be a key player in the holte boxing club,he donated a boxing board to them as shown on the picture, I would love to find out were it has gone.Also are some pics of an old boxing ticket, inside the Holte I think if not it was in the boxing club next door, and one of dads friends in the ring dont know who he is any idea's welcome.I am new at putting photo's on I will try and put a few on same page, if it doesn't work I will have to do them seperate. Anyone that can give me a few tips on it would be welcome.

After speaking to my sister she say's the man in the ring at the boxing club was called Ambrose

Hi Patty
I Know Afew Boxers Of Time Gone BYE Whom Used To Box At The Holte
And They Are Old Friends Of Mine .
Also The Family Whom Used To Run The Holte, In Time Gone Bye
In The Era O f 1958 To 1960 [ The DWYER Family
My Old Friends Whom Was Boxers WAS Big Jackie Burns ,
And The Mc Groatie Brothers Whom Runs Bussiness Called The Truck Stop
Over At Acocks Green ,B,HAM
I Was Told Big Jackie Burns Died About Five Years Ago In Sheldon
When He Retired From Boxing He Started A Boxing Club
at GUEST KEEN AND NETTLE FOLD FACTORY ,
COMMONLY Known In Them Days As G.K.N, HEATH STREET WINSON GREEN ,
For The Young Kids In The Area ,
Then He Taught Kids At The Caulie Flower Pub In New Cannal ST,
Digbeth Along From My Mothers House And Grand mothers House And Cafe
At Number 1 New Cannal St . Digbeth Whom Was The Jelf Family
Have A Nice Day Everybody Best Wishes , ASTONIAN .

Still on the Holte,

I worked at Eskimo Frozen Foods Heath Mill Lane in the erly 60s with a Lad named John Barrett who played for Villa.

He once told me a story that on Friday evenings before a Home match some Villa Players including Colin Gibson who was a good Piano Player would drink at the Holte, he even Baby sat for them.

As a player he only played a couple of games against the Combined Services and a Scottish teams and really didn't make it. I've looked up the records and found this to be the truth.:)

I think we Brummies owe a really big thank you to Randy for the restoration/improvement of the Holte, it looks very light and airy inside, my memories of the Holte go back to the mid 50s when they used to hold dances there and it was oak? panelled and very dark. The grounds look great too, must go down one of the lunch times and look it over.

Just a thought it may be a good venue for the suggested Forum get together.

We had to go to Aston today and decided to pop in and have a look at the refurbished Holte, I was most impressed, the exterior is marvellous, and most of the stained glass windows were intact, I don't know whether they had to be replaced, if so, a very good job was done. I couldn't relate to how it was previously, but as long as vandals don't get to it again, it will be a real asset to Aston. Next time my son comes down from London we will go and have a meal there. He used to be fanatical about "THE VILLA" so I know he will enjoy it.

It's great to see the Holte up and running again. I played there with the Chester Peterson Combo on Fridays, Sundays and Mondays throughout 1973. Friday night was a site to behold. The gaffer there then for a short time was Peter McCann - George

Hello Holte fans,
I can remember some very good Saturday nights spent at the Holte during my early teenage years in the 60's. There used to be a Jazz Club held in a very large back room with a stage and the resident band was Bazil Wainright & Midland Allstars . The place used to be packed but then the local gangs began starting fights and eventually Bazil moved the club to the centre of Brum.
My memories of the Pub itself was of huge darkwood polished bars and wall cladding with lots of glass with frosted pictures to them. Has any of that survived or is it now just another steriotyped eating/drinking place. Mike Bond.

Hi All,
I am researching the Managers of the Holte P/House from 1900 to 1945,
if any one has any info then i would be most grateful.
Happy new year to all,
young319 newbie:stung:

1900-05 James T.Lees
1908-15 Horace Barbour
1921 C.H. Mitchell
1932-40 Charles William Morrison Nibblett
1943 William Henry Ford

Hi Mikejee,
Thanks for your info, thats helped alot in my research, however to explain
my wifes great grandmother was manageress at the Holte Brewery in 1911
according to the census (Mrs Mary Ann Farrell) How in my nievity, i had presumed
that a lot of beer's where brewed sometimes on the premises and that the brewery &
pub was one and the same. Therefore your information has discounted this theory however
still has a bearing on her daily contacts. So now i have to switch my search to the brewery,
and if anybody knows any info i would be most grateful,
Kind Regards
Young319 newbie

Hi Mikejee,
its great to be back, thanks for this you are quite correct no `E', After further digging i believe i have narrowed it down to two
possible locations, the first possibility is Goodfellows pub in Old Meeting st ( wether this was still standing in 1911 i am not sure)
the other is according to my relatives census return is `The Timberman Inn' (I have never heard of such a pub) My theory is that
they where possibly deceiving the authorities, and really managed the Woodman Inn in Summer Lane. What ever the story it will
take a lot more delving, Iwill search the forum for more info especially for a concise list of Holt brewery pubs and Managers,
Again many thanks for your help,
Kind regards
young319

Back