• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The History of the 2/6th the Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1914-19

Nick Bradbury

master brummie
I am looking for a book.
The History of the 2/6th the Royal Warwickshire Regiment 1914-19
By JJ Shannessy
Published 1929 - ISBN-10: 1903972299
Published 2009 - ISBN-13: 978-1903972298
D.p. & G Military Publishers

I am not looking for links, just real knowledge of a location of this book.
I did try search engines and even face book.
At one point a book store asked me if I had tried the Yorkshire regiment.
I tried to point out that, thats like owning a Ford car and asking Toyota for a spare part.
Can you help?
Nick.

Nick,

The only copies I can find are:-

1. University of Birmingham Library and you generally won't get access to that unless you are on a course there. This is a REPRINT copy, all the others are 1929 originals.
2. British Library - use the InterLibrary Loan service when you local library reopens.
3. National Library of Wales - ditto.
4. National Library of Scotland - ditto

I don't know where you got the first ISBN number from as they weren't instituted until 1960 so the one for 1929 is false.

Covid is causing problems for everyone at the moment, so that is about as much as I can tell you. Option 2 is probably your best initial bet when the libraries open. For future reference, this is the site to use when looking for obscure books:- https://discover.libraryhub.jisc.ac.uk/advanced-search/
because it searches both the British Library and all the academic libraries. I hope that helps.

Maurice :cool:

Nick,

The only copies I can find are:-

1. University of Birmingham Library and you generally won't get access to that unless you are on a course there. This is a REPRINT copy, all the others are 1929 originals.
2. British Library - use the InterLibrary Loan service when you local library reopens.
3. National Library of Wales - ditto.
4. National Library of Scotland - ditto

I don't know where you got the first ISBN number from as they weren't instituted until 1960 so the one for 1929 is false.

Covid is causing problems for everyone at the moment, so that is about as much as I can tell you. Option 2 is probably your best initial bet when the libraries open. For future reference, this is the site to use when looking for obscure books:- https://discover.libraryhub.jisc.ac.uk/advanced-search/
because it searches both the British Library and all the academic libraries. I hope that helps.

Maurice,
many thanks for contacting me.
Indeed, there are two copies in B`ham Library, One in the Welsh national Library and one other in the British Library.
These I know about.
However, except for one, they are all reference only.
And as you know, all library`s are closed because of covid 19.
This is a great frustration for me, and I am banging my head against the wall on this one.
There are many reasons why I am seeking this book.
One reason is: my great uncle is named, RSM A.H. Bradbury.
He received the MC, which is unusual for an NCO.
Hmmmm........ what I need is a source to buy and hold in my hand, and use as I need.
But, your suggestion is a good and valid one.
Many thanks,
Nick.

Hi Nick,

I didn't bother checking public libraries because there is no way of doing this globally. As it was published locally by Cornish Brothers, I would imagine that only a very small number of copies were originally published, and possibly the reprint was even less. None of the usual people like Abe Books have copies, and given the rarity of this publication. they are likely to be very quickly snapped up. Good hunting!

Maurice,
many thanks for contacting me.
Indeed, there are two copies in B`ham Library, One in the Welsh national Library and one other in the British Library.
These I know about.
However, except for one, they are all reference only.
And as you know, all library`s are closed because of covid 19.
This is a great frustration for me, and I am banging my head against the wall on this one.
There are many reasons why I am seeking this book.
One reason is: my great uncle is named, RSM A.H. Bradbury.
He received the MC, which is unusual for an NCO.
Hmmmm........ what I need is a source to buy and hold in my hand, and use as I need.
But, your suggestion is a good and valid one.
Many thanks,
Nick.
RSMs often progressed to Quartermaster, holding the rank of Captain or Major. Perhaps this is how your G/uncle qualified for the MC ?

Back