• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Hereford Arms

sandracoley

master brummie
Does anyone remember the hereford pub ..it was off ombersley road ..birmingham..i would imagine its been demolished now ..i recall steve ..who used to always sing "the coward of the county "to me.in late 70's...anyone remember alec leake who drank with steve.??

Hi sandra

I was a regular in the Hereford in the 70's when Sid Isherwood was gaffer and the barman at the time was Jerry. Its still standing today. There is a brass plaque fixed on the bar in memory of my uncle "Ben".

I knew most of the regulars in there, I can't say I recall the name of Alec Leake. Did he use the bar? The only Steve I recall worked for me and I don't ever recall hearing him sing.

This is a recent (ish) photo of the Hereford.
Phil

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Kyrawick Lane The Hereford.jpg
    Sparkbrook Kyrawick Lane The Hereford.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 16
By the way Sandra The Hereford was on Kyrwicks Lane off Highate Rd. I think that Ombersley rd was one of the few streets in the area without a pub.

Did you mean the Crown in Hertford St, that was nearby.

Phil

thanks for the info guys....alec leake was a mechanic at turnpike garage highgate rd.....he used to drink with richie arnold.....i got highgate rd mixed up with ombersley rd .the pic you posted was a great improvement on the hereford i knew. .....

Hi Sandra

They upgraded the Hereford while we were drinking there. We used to drink in the back room (you could hardly call it a lounge) when the renovations were complete Sid moved us into the bar after that had been renovated. Something about our crowd being too rough on his new lounge.
Did you know Sid & Pearl his wife.

Phil

Hi...when i used to go to the hereford it was really a dump ...but ....i loved the people there ..its certainly changed now .!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you know richie arnold.???

Hi Sandra

You mention these names, I probably knew them to nod to. I would have to it wasn't that big a pub. The thing is we all used to drink at the Talbot on the corner of Larches St and Highgate Rd. When they closed it down for demolition we all moved up the the Hereford. That would be about 10 or 15 of us at times especially on a Saturday. We would get in there about 11 o clock and get locked in at 3 o clock until the pub opened again a 5.30.

I remember once on a Sunday morning when Sid used to leave the door on the latch from 11 o clock (an hour early then) The Police walked in, but after spinning them a load of bull about it being a fishing club meeting after a chat and a quiet couple of pints no action was taken.

I've got a photo somewhere of a few of us on a night out with Sid and Pearl a the Cresta I'll see if I can look it out.

Phil

hi phil .thanks for reply....im sure youd have known richie arnold he was at least 6ft.4ins and BIG with it, nice bloke though ..

Hi Sandra

You mention these names, I probably knew them to nod to. I would have to it wasn't that big a pub. The thing is we all used to drink at the Talbot on the corner of Larches St and Highgate Rd. When they closed it down for demolition we all moved up the the Hereford. That would be about 10 or 15 of us at times especially on a Saturday. We would get in there about 11 o clock and get locked in at 3 o clock until the pub opened again a 5.30.

I remember once on a Sunday morning when Sid used to leave the door on the latch from 11 o clock (an hour early then) The Police walked in, but after spinning them a load of bull about it being a fishing club meeting after a chat and a quiet couple of pints no action was taken.

I've got a photo somewhere of a few of us on a night out with Sid and Pearl a the Cresta I'll see if I can look it out.

Phil

be nice to see that photo if you still have it phil

lyn

Lyn

I managed to find the photo I mentioned and here it is, going from left to right around the table, Graham Bartlam. Uncle Ben, Alfie Stokes, (the gaffer & his wife) Sid Isherwood, Pearl Isherwood, coming back down the table, Maureen Pocock, Roger Pocock, Pauline (my wife) and myself. The trouble with these old photos is when you look at them you realise how many of them are no longer with us. In this photo five out of the nine are gone or so I have been told.

Cresta.jpg

Would anyone have any pictures of the Hereford arms in late 60's ? My nan was licensee.
There was a lorry that crashed in to the front of the pub too. I vaguely remember it and know it was in the newspaper as nan kept the clipping.
She was Nellie Brewer , my grandad Sydney Thomas Brewer died in 62', but nan stayed there until she retired.
70 or 1971 from memory...

Jacque, you may be interested in post 1379 of this thread:
Post 1002 of the same thread has a photo:

The Hereford Arms is mentioned in a few threads,. May I suggest the thread title be changed to Arms rather than pub for future search reasons.

Back