• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harborne Pool Tragedy 1929

R

Rod

I thought I might share this with you. I transcribed it from a newspaper of the time. Whe I found out about this tragedy I was very sad, I didnt know up until a few years ago that this had happened. My mom had carried it all her life without saying a word. Watching Jeremy Paxman get emotionaly upset reminded me of how I felt on reading the coroners report of the day. I get the feeling from this, but moreso from the coroners report that they thought my nan was to blame, it was 1929 after all and feelings about these things were very different to how they are now. and even though I never knew her I feel protective of her. The little girl reffred to in the story is my mum, goodness to read this the first time made me cry buckets.

Have a read

MAN AND WOMAN DEAD IN POOL
Found Clasped in Each
Other’s Arms.​

A distressing story of domestic trouble and marital unhappiness lies behind the discovery in a pool on the outskirts of Harborne, Birmingham, yesterday of a man and woman
Early in the morning the bodies were seen in the water by a housekeeper, who worked close by, clasped in each others arms
.​
They were identified as-
CLEMENT ERNEST WALTON, aged 48, a Post Office sorter, of 77 Douglas-road Handsworth;
BEATRICE CARTER, aged 31, of 2, back of 142, Vaughton-street, Birmingham.
WIFE NOT SURPRISED AT DEATH​

Mrs Marion Emma Walton, the wife of the dead man lives at 77, Douglas Road, Handsworth, and it was there that Walton lived until a few days ago. He left home saying he was taking rooms elsewhere, and it is known that he went to live with the woman Carter, who was also married in the Parade district of Birmingham. “I know of my husbands affair with this other woman.” Mrs Walton told “Sunday Mercury” representative. “It began, I think eighteen months ago, and my husband brought her here to tea, with Mr Carter.” “That is how I came to know her. I became suspicious, and challenged him about his association with her. He said I was accusing him wrongly.” “We were married in 1913, and he was good to my children, that is the best I can say of him. My happiness had gone, and when he left home and did not return, I knew I should not see him again alive. I knew he would never face it”
The pool where the tragedy occurred is in the midst of the Tennel Lane allotments, Harborne, and one of the plots had been occupied by Walton for two or three years. A fortnight ago he sold the plot for £5, but was seen there again a day or so later, in the company of the woman Carter.
Appeared Inseparable.
She and Walton, had in fact, been seen often at the allotment together, and appeared inseparable, and on very affectionate terms. It appears that the woman had stayed at the hut on occasions. She made no secret of the fact she was not his wife however, and admitted this much to Mr Pearman, who keeps the farm nearby. “Walton.” Said Mr Pearman. “ had a very likeable character. A better or straighter man never lived. He worked for me occasionally, and was one of the most industrious men men I knew. His plot was always a credit to him, and he took pride in keeping it neat and trim.” Fellow allotment holders of Walton’s say that he had a very agreeable disposition , but lately he appeared very worried and did not talk much. It is evident the tragedy occurred early
yesterday morning, the discovery was made about 10 o’clock for at 3 a.m. Mr Pearman was up and took a walk with his dogs in the direction of the pool.
There was then no signs of anything untoward, and the coat and hat belonging to Walton which were subsequently found on the fence skirting the pool were not there.
Housekeepers Discovery
They were found later in the morning by the housekeeper at the farm who identified them as Waltons by a letter in one of the coat pockets. “At first” said the housekeeper. “I thought it was just bunkum, I thought Walton had left them to make his wife think he was dead, for I knew there was trouble at home. Little did I think that was such a real tragedy.” “Mrs Walton used to come down to the farm for eggs and milk occasionally. He was a very respectable looking man, always took a pride in his appearance, and was pleasant to talk to, though he did not say much.” “The woman came with him as far as the gate sometimes, but she would do nothing more than pass the time of day. She did not seem to want to be asked questions, so we did not ask them.” “ They always had a little girl with them, a beautiful child. At first we thought she was drowned also, but we are glad to know she is safe.”
A Fatal Split.
The pool where the tragedy occurred has an evil reputation. It has been the scene of no fewer than twelve fatalities during the last few years, suicides and accidents. It is a small, but deep, about 30 feet and is known as “Horses Rest Pool”. At present it is only partially fenced, and there is a strong feeling in the district it should be filled up or properly fenced in. It belongs it is understood by the Corporation. Mrs Walton, to whom the news of her husbands death was not unexpected, put a brave face upon the tragedy when seen last night. She has four children, Charles Arthur, Leonard George, Lillian Gertrude, and Marion Olive. The eldest, Charles Arthur is now his mothers sole means of support. But said Charles Arthur “I intend doing my best to look after my mother now.” The inquest will be held on Tuesday

Re: My Nan

Suicides always leave so many questions unanswered.................this account is incomplete, and the answers have been taken to their graves.

You can only imagine the depth (or turmoil?)of feelings that they were experiencing to contemplate and complete such an action.

In the end, its the surviving spouse that portrays the story..............and she herself is now frightened? embarrassed? humiliated? guilty?...who knows

Nowadays the tabloids are full of stories of adultery and scandel and they draw a huge readership.............considering this article was written back in 1929, it sort of reads of the same........as if to draw an interest rather than to present the facts?

Very Sad :(

Thanks Rod, put it down to old age and decrepitude. :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:    Nevertheless no one was a winner were they ?
I have deleted my post so that Ossie will never find out what a fool I am and no one else except you and I will know what we're talking about   O0

Rod,
A very sad story. I can only imagine how upsetting it must be for you.

Sue,
As always, you sum up the situation very eloquently..

Cassie Connie Gracie,
Gotcha!

A very moving story, Rod, and sad as it is, its part of your family history.
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Thank you all for your replies, I was a little nervous about posting it. The newspaper report says nothing really about Emily Beatrices husband my Grandad, I never knew him he died a little while before I was born. What I think speaks volumes is how newspapers of the day and the general public stood with regard to morals, and where a womens place was in society. We dont and never will know the whole story, but I feel sadness for them both. I also feel a great injustice was done to Emily Beatrice Carter. I wonder if my mom knew that her mom was pregnant? in that lies yet another sadness?
Sue I have the newspapers reprted coroners findings, and I have permission to go see the coroner of today and access their files. I will do that at some point. I am searching for her grave if one exists, but a three year search has proved fruitless. Maybe the coroners reports will turn up something?

What a sad story Rod, how awful for your mother to have had to carry such grief with her all her life.  Even though your gran and her lover may have adored each other, in those days it was almost impossible for the working class to set up home together both from a financial angle and the shame that was attached.  I hopre you have been able to come to terms with it now.

Sylvia I think what Im mostly sad about is the fact that mom didnt tell us, and if I'd only had an inkling? I hope I can find the grave, its more than likely unconsecrated and so far all the experts have not been able to help. I do wonder where you get the courage(IF THATS THE RIGHT WORD) to hold yourself underwater, how must these two people have felt to do something so extreme, I really do find it shocking.

:angel: Rod so sorry about your family's hardships... I knew this may not be of help, however take heart many of us have skeletons in our family history, things were just never talked about back then...

Right up until she died in 1996 Colin's Gran would not reveal who fathered his mother... So we have a branch of the family we are unable to research... Col's Great aunts always said they would tell if Gran died first. Gran out lived all 4, she was over 100 when she died so we never found out...
Gran never gave her baby up, my Mother in Law was put in an orphanage where the family visited her often. When Gran married she went to live with her mother and the new husband and has a half brother.

My own aunt and her sister's never knew that she was born in 'The Workhouse' in Tranmere. My Mom and her eldest sister knew they had been put in what they thought was an orphanage for a while. However I found out it was in fact The Workhouse at 56 Church Rd Tranmere, which in 1922 was still a workhouse, but is now St Catherine's Hospital. Till she had had the baby and found somewhere for them all to live Granny Loue was separated form her other two daughters.

Also, myself and one other cousin in the family, were up until three years ago, the only two apart from our parents and a few other elder members of the family, who knew that, the same aunt had given birth to a baby boy during the war. The baby's father was my Dad (yes my cousin and I shared a half brother) he only lived just over 12 hours and so the secret remained safe, for many years.

As I said may be not much help, but people seemed to have lived some very sad lives back then. I knew jokes are made about 'Group therapy' and 'Counseling Sessions', but I'm sure for many today it makes sadness much easier to bare, being able to open up to someone and not be so harshly judged or ostracized.

Chris :angel:

That is the saddest family story, but they were brave and obviously very much in love Rod. They couldn't face life without each other, and couldn't face the scandal their being together would have caused in those far off days. They must have been in absolute turmoil. Your poor mom keeping her story to herself all of her life.

Rod, what a sad thing - how in love they must have been and how without hope. These days I think we have a much healthier attitude to relationships. Some marriages don't last, but oh dear, it is better to separate or divorce than to go through what these two desperate people did. How brave they were too! It would be a wonderful base for a story from you Rod.

Very tragic story Rod,
They must have been very gutsy people
to end their lives so tragically
in modern times things would
have worked out quite differently
Life was indeed very cruel in the past

A New Turn Of Events

Ive at last found the pool or at least where it was. I knew of two pools close to the Allotments but wasn't able to find which one was known as Horses Rest Pool. John found some mapping for me at Central Library and using the little bits of info from the coroners newsclippings weve been able to piece things together. I have since been in touch with Harborne History and a very helpful man there who sent me a map and some other bits and peices.

The farmer named in the inquest a Mr Pearman was from Tennel Hall and farmed the surrounding land

I had imagined Horses Rest Pool was so called because it was perhaps a stopping off point as work horses made their way into and towards Brum, but no, its far more interesting. Most working horses that could no longer do a days work were usually sent to the Knackers Yard but some of the lucky ones found their way to Woodlands Horses Rest in Harborne a safe haven for sick and old work horses. Apparently each year upwards of 40 horses arrived for some loving care at this establishment sometimes transported in the Corporation Horse Ambulance and sometimes brought by the trader who owned or worked the horse. Ocasionaly it was the police who had the grim task of transporting an abused or overworked horse.

So out of this very sad search has come  a little bit of good in my opinion.

Ive posted a map section of the pool as it was in 1901..... Ive also looked at Google Earth as I understand the pool was filled in, I think the sattelite image is all that remains now I have to go along and check it out.

Brilliant Rod, yet so sad. I really felt for everyone involved in the tradgedy. God Bless all :'( :'( :'(
:flower: :cat:

What a sad story Rod.........but how interesting to trace the history of the pool.

Life was so hard in those days and people so quick to condemn. :(

I do hope you can find where they are buried.

Thanks for the replies, I often wonder just how anyone can get so desperate that killing oneself is the only way out? We will go along in the next day or two and see whats left to see.

Its now down to finding her resting place, someone somewhere must know what happened in such cases and there must be a log of some sort sort.

Rod could you not have a chat to a local undertaker regarding burials of persons who have taken their own life they may just have information or records of such burials

I was going to do just that thanks, and also talk to staff at the Yardley Cemetery and Crematorium where her husband, my Grandad was buried some years later.

:angel: All I can add Rod, is I really do wish you the very best luck in finding the information you need.

Chris :angel:

I went over to Harborne today and found the site of the pool. It's behind a block of flats, there were no older locals about to whom I could talk so I just satisfied myself with a picture or two.

Just a thought Rod, would it be worthwhile contacting the local library to see if there if a Harborne Local History Society, I believe there is. It may be connected to Quinton LHS their website is www.qlhs.org.uk

A really nice guy from the Harborne Society has given me immense help, he found the material regarding Woodlands Horses Rest. I had thought Woodlands farm to be the farm mentioned at the inquest and inhabited by a Mr Pearman one of the witness's. It has now emrged that Pearman came from Tennal Hall and farmed the surrounding land.

John Houghton also helped, researching maps at the library in brum..... then the guy at the Harborne Society qualified what I had done 2 years ago, and what John had dug up just last week. So the mystery of where the pool was is sorted, I just need now to find her resting place.

I will get in touch with the Quinton society soon and ask if they know anything Sylvia...... thanks a bundle for your input.

Ferreting around in Central Library this morning we found this in the Coroners report concerning the double suicide I am researching. Ive never seen my nan so it was quite a shock to find the picture and it shows my mum too.

Rod, another piece of the jigsaw regarding the tradegy, I can imagine the shock you felt, but how wonderful in another sense that at last you have a picture of your grandmother, and your mother as a little girl. It would seem all the information of our ancestors is stored somewhere, but it takes such a lot of finding.

Rod It just goes to show how much info is out their waiting to be found,I bet you are chuffed to bits
Good on ya mate O0

What I didn't say was, Ive also been able to view all the letters and coroners reports from the incident. Thanks everyone for your messages it is encouraging....... I still have the grave to find and a little more background info. If anyone has pictures for instance of Vaughton Street, or the Parade(NOT SUTTON) I'd be delighted to have a copy to go in the file. It's been quite a day, fascinating, but sad. Yes your right Sylvia it was a shock, only last night I was resigned to the fact that I would never see my nan but this has taught me a lesson. O0

Back