• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gunmakers Arms, Bath Street

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
Date of photograph 13th June, 1960.

DEzO4IvXkAASeSd.jpg:large

great photo BB...gunmakers arms is now open again....recently been taken over by the two towers brewery who have their own brewery at the back of pub....great to see it open again...some age to this pub

lyn

Excellent news, I'll make the effort to go and buy a pint. This pub brings back a lot of memories for me. I remember enjoying a drink with my gran, mom, and sister outside the pub on one of those warm summer evenings in the city around 1967.

they have interesting events there as well,, including historical talks and music

mike i really must make an effort to pay the guns a visit...not been in since it re opened

lyn

Their web page used to hav e a list of events.Now it refers you to their fascebookm page (Ugh), presumably hoping you will "Like " it (no chance for me with any Facebook page)

The building itself appears to be Georgian but what puzzles me is that it appears to be constructed of 'blocks' and not bricks. Anyone got an explanation about this?

i would say georgian BB and i have seen the block effect on georgian buildings a few times..

lyn

Thanks for that, Lyn, Never really noticed the blocks before (paint obscured it), just assumed it would be brickwork.

nick although i no longer drink i have heard good reports about the ale...i was in the guns a couple of months back attending one of their historical talks and was very impressed with the refurbishment:)

lyn

The Gunmakers in Bath Street is a Grade II Listed Building, see Forum Thread..

“Circa 1820, corner block formerly of 3 houses, now one house and pub. Three storeys rendered and coursed. Corbelled eaves. Half hipped slate roof. Three windows to upper floors and one surviving ground floor window: revealed glazing bar sashes on first floor with stucco heads flanked by small consoles and their cornices. No 93 retains architrave doorway with rounded corner blocks. Pub door formerly to house with architrave moulding and console brackets. Good small mid C19 corner pub front pilastered with entablature bowed around corner. One bay return and 2 storey wing.”

(There is a reference to a Gun Tavern in Bath Street in 1845)

The Gunmakers Arms is listed in the 1845 PO directory , apparently in the same position as now, so maybe the Gun Tavern was another establishment. there is a Richard Hollis, beer retailer listed in the street at no 82. so this was possible the Gun Tavern

map c1889 showing the position of 82 bath st, beerretailer in 1845.jpg

The Gun maker's Arms in Bath St. is reported as well established in 1838. Around 1840 there was also a Gunmakers Arms in New Canal St and Moor St. Also a newly erected one in Hatchett St.
Pedro - Have corrected your mistype, though rather like the idea of a Gin makers Arms !

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pub token from my collection for 'The Gun'. Anyone any idea of the date S G Tookey was the licensee please?

Attachments

• IMG-7689.jpg
    IMG-7689.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-7690.jpg
    IMG-7690.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 5
The Gun is not the same as the Gunmakers Arms (no 92), but a beerhouse just down the road at no 82.

map 1880s showing The Gun Bath St no 82.jpgKellys 1900 Bath St.jpg

Remembering that date is publication date and probably refers to year before, Tookey is listed in Kellys in 1888 till 1908, but not in 1884 or 1910.

Two aerial views of Bath Street 1921 & 1951 showing No. 82 and 92/93 Gunmakers Arms P.H.

Attachments

• bath-st-aerial-1921.jpg
    bath-st-aerial-1921.jpg
    848.1 KB · Views: 14
  • bath-st-aerial-1951.jpg
    bath-st-aerial-1951.jpg
    629.5 KB · Views: 13
The Gun is not the same as the Gunmakers Arms (no 92), but a beerhouse just down the road at no 82.

View attachment 178477View attachment 178478

Remembering that date is publication date and probably refers to year before, Tookey is listed in Kellys in 1888 till 1908, but not in 1884 or 1910.
Mikejee, thanks for your post. You may be aware that I have a little interest in Gun Makers Arms, which was called Pike and Musket around 1820. ( 93 Bath Street ) I have spent hours trying to find a photo so far no luck.

You spoke of the Gun, could you add any more information regarding the Gun.

Many thanks

Nick

Last edited:
Back