• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Gullett

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
The Gullett pops up on various threads but I think it's worth it having a thread of its own, being such a notorious place. Here's a drawing (sorry no date) of the smallest shop in Birmingham at the corner with Stafford Street. Looks quite twee, with a gentleman discussing his hat cleaning needs with Mr Jones the hat maker. Never judge a book by its cover ....

Not sure what the lady to the left in the shadows is up to, but she seems to be carrying something heavy (a basket of goods ?) on her back. Viv.

IMG_0227.JPG

Viv did you know that part of the Gullet remained after being renamed Ashley Passage right up to the building of the new Law Courts on Newton Street / Dalton Street?

City Ashley Passage (The Gullett).jpg

We do have, Phil, an expert on the Forum who has managed to retrieve some lost images. Maybe 2006 is too far back.

The thing is Lyn, I also have several photos of the Gullett, but if they get posted here then they are not being posted where they belong along with the information that was posted with them.

Raidorails, I think these images date back to the original time that all the photos on the forum were lost and can only be replaced by reposting copies of the original image.

agreed phil...ive just looked at the thread called BEFORE CORPORATION ST and it seems that a mod is already re posting some of the photos which is great..thing is there is no mention of the gullet in the title of that thread...i guess we could always add the gullet onto the title of said thread and still keep this one solely for the gullet..will see what viv thinks..

lyn

Last edited:
I have now reposted most of the photos and maps on that thread, I had saved most of them. In a few cases I cannot be absolutely sure as to which is which of the photos, but they were all saved around the date of the thread, and am pretty sure I put the right ones in the right place

Lyn

Some of these older original threads contain a lot of information and images that would be a crime to lose. I'm glad to see it being restored because as you know it's always been a hobby horse of mine

There were three photos that came from the thread but I have no idea to which post they went. However there seemed to be three "holes", so put them in randomly with an appropriate note

same here phil...must admit and i dont know why but the gullet has always given me the creeps:D

Well here are a few more images of the Gullet that haven't been posted as yet as far as I can see.

City Corner of The Gullet & Stafford St Hope & Anchor the most notorious pub in Birmingham .jpg City Lichfield St The Gullet.jpg City The Gullet 3.jpg

Now I really haven't a clue where I picked up this article concerning the clearing of the Gullet from. More than likely off this forum,it might even be still on here somewhere.

Gullet Article .jpg

Doesn't seem to be from any paper in the newspaper archives, as searching for "Birmingham Criminals and their haunts" or "Last of the gullett" did not find it

Well Mike, I honestly thought it might be down to yourself, so I am at a loss where it came from. Apparently it's been on my computer since 2009.

Found out where it's from it's on the "Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum" thread and was posted by Dennis Williams on page 48, post #941

Just a few more to complete the set! You may like to ponder the premise which led to it's demolition and all the other massive changes to that part of the City....this is from an article from the Faces and Places Magazine of 1896 "
BIRMINGHAM IMPROVEMENTS UNDER THE ARTISANS' AND LABOURERS' DWELLINGS IMPROVEMENT ACT, 1875

The present age has been called the age of great cities. For a century past, but still more noticeably during the last thirty years, the chief centres of population have increased immensely in size. This enlargement is, of course, chiefly due to the expansion of trade and enterprise, to locomotive facilities, and to the increase of population which has been stimulated by these improvements. Another cause, which did not exist in less civilised days, conduces to the rapid growth of cities. When war was the rule and peace the exception, every town was virtually more or less a fortress, and, for the sake of protection, people packed their houses closely together within the boundaries of the city walls.

Nowadays, every citizen who can afford it tries to have his family abode beyond the reach of the smoke and noise of the central districts, and so a ring of new buildings is added annually to the circumference of the city. One of the most serious evils of modern times results from this tendency to emigrate towards the suburbs. The closely packed houses of the older districts, which were never too healthy, are deserted by the rich and prosperous, and, when in a state of decay and dilapidation, become tenanted by the very poor, who crowd these tenements to an extent never contemplated by those who built them. Intemperance, improvidence, and uncleanliness are confirmed. And intensified by the miserable character of these habitations.

In nearly every town in the kingdom there may be found what may be styled a mediaeval nucleus of this sort; in some instances, as in our own City of London, the old buildings are gradually replaced by structures intended solely for business purposes; but even then one evil is only replaced by another, since the poor, having no dwellings at hand, are compelled to travel long distances to and from their work. For many years philanthropists pondered over the mischief arising from this condition of things, and palliative measures were introduced by individuals and charitable associations; but nothing, as far as we are aware, was accomplished on a comprehensive scale until the passage of a Local Improvement Act in Glasgow, in 1866.

1875 an Act entitled 'Artisans and Labourers dwellings Improvement Act" received the assent of Parliament. This Act confers on the sanitary authorities of all towns of more than 25,000 inhabitants very extensive powers of dealing with unwholesome and dilapidated houses, especially as regards compulsory power to buy land or other property, formerly any owner who chose to be cantankerous or greedy could paralyse any attempted municipal improvement which touched his property.

Mr. Cross's Act has recently been taken up in good earnest by the authorities of Birmingham - a town which, though exceptionally salubrious among great cities as far as advantages of site are concerned, yet has, in its central districts, a miserable collection of damp, dilapidation, and decay; where the deaths are twice as numerous as in the suburb of Edgbaston - young children die especially fast, as one of the tenants pithily put it, "There's more bugs than babies" - where perfect health is unknown and decent habits almost impossible.

Those who have read Mr. Councillor White's graphic description of the condition of St. Mary's Ward will not deem the above expressions a whit too strong. A plan of improvement, drawn up in accordance with the representations of the Medical Officer of Health, has been brought forward by Mr. White and carried before the Council, and it is gratifying to add that it was unanimously accepted, although a few aldermen and councillors abstained from voting, owing to motives of delicacy, because they owned property on the line of intended demolition.

It will be perceived, on reference to our map, that the proposed scheme is one of an extensive character; it is intended to combine the advantage of new and improved dwellings for the poorer classes with convenient thoroughfares. Those who know Birmingham are aware how much a route for vehicular traffic is needed between New Street and Bull Street. In the proposed improvements a new thoroughfare will commence in New Street, opposite the Exchange, and will be carried right through, across Legge Street and Bagot Street, into the Aston Road. New subsidiary side streets will also be made.

Attachments

• gullett 6.jpg
    gullett 6.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • Gullett Hope and Anchor 1870.jpg
    Gullett Hope and Anchor 1870.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Lichfield St Stafford St Gullet 1872.jpg
    Lichfield St Stafford St Gullet 1872.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 44
Just a few more to complete the set! You may like to ponder the premise which led to it's demolition and all the other massive changes to that part of the City....this is from an article from the Faces and Places Magazine of 1896 "
BIRMINGHAM IMPROVEMENTS UNDER THE ARTISANS' AND LABOURERS' DWELLINGS IMPROVEMENT ACT, 1875

The present age has been called the age of great cities. For a century past, but still more noticeably during the last thirty years, the chief centres of population have increased immensely in size. This enlargement is, of course, chiefly due to the expansion of trade and enterprise, to locomotive facilities, and to the increase of population which has been stimulated by these improvements. Another cause, which did not exist in less civilised days, conduces to the rapid growth of cities. When war was the rule and peace the exception, every town was virtually more or less a fortress, and, for the sake of protection, people packed their houses closely together within the boundaries of the city walls.

Nowadays, every citizen who can afford it tries to have his family abode beyond the reach of the smoke and noise of the central districts, and so a ring of new buildings is added annually to the circumference of the city. One of the most serious evils of modern times results from this tendency to emigrate towards the suburbs. The closely packed houses of the older districts, which were never too healthy, are deserted by the rich and prosperous, and, when in a state of decay and dilapidation, become tenanted by the very poor, who crowd these tenements to an extent never contemplated by those who built them. Intemperance, improvidence, and uncleanliness are confirmed. And intensified by the miserable character of these habitations.

In nearly every town in the kingdom there may be found what may be styled a mediaeval nucleus of this sort; in some instances, as in our own City of London, the old buildings are gradually replaced by structures intended solely for business purposes; but even then one evil is only replaced by another, since the poor, having no dwellings at hand, are compelled to travel long distances to and from their work. For many years philanthropists pondered over the mischief arising from this condition of things, and palliative measures were introduced by individuals and charitable associations; but nothing, as far as we are aware, was accomplished on a comprehensive scale until the passage of a Local Improvement Act in Glasgow, in 1866.

1875 an Act entitled 'Artisans and Labourers dwellings Improvement Act" received the assent of Parliament. This Act confers on the sanitary authorities of all towns of more than 25,000 inhabitants very extensive powers of dealing with unwholesome and dilapidated houses, especially as regards compulsory power to buy land or other property, formerly any owner who chose to be cantankerous or greedy could paralyse any attempted municipal improvement which touched his property.

Mr. Cross's Act has recently been taken up in good earnest by the authorities of Birmingham - a town which, though exceptionally salubrious among great cities as far as advantages of site are concerned, yet has, in its central districts, a miserable collection of damp, dilapidation, and decay; where the deaths are twice as numerous as in the suburb of Edgbaston - young children die especially fast, as one of the tenants pithily put it, "There's more bugs than babies" - where perfect health is unknown and decent habits almost impossible.

Those who have read Mr. Councillor White's graphic description of the condition of St. Mary's Ward will not deem the above expressions a whit too strong. A plan of improvement, drawn up in accordance with the representations of the Medical Officer of Health, has been brought forward by Mr. White and carried before the Council, and it is gratifying to add that it was unanimously accepted, although a few aldermen and councillors abstained from voting, owing to motives of delicacy, because they owned property on the line of intended demolition.

It will be perceived, on reference to our map, that the proposed scheme is one of an extensive character; it is intended to combine the advantage of new and improved dwellings for the poorer classes with convenient thoroughfares. Those who know Birmingham are aware how much a route for vehicular traffic is needed between New Street and Bull Street. In the proposed improvements a new thoroughfare will commence in New Street, opposite the Exchange, and will be carried right through, across Legge Street and Bagot Street, into the Aston Road. New subsidiary side streets will also be made.

Something is not quite right here. Have The Magazine “Faces and Places” got their timelines wrong? The magazine seems to be a bit obscure, and I can only find one mention of it in the newspaper archives. In 1903 the Bournemouth Gazette objects to being compared with Abberdovey.

This article from 1896 sites an Act of 1875 and says that it has recently been taken up in earnest by the authorities in Birmingham some 20 years later?

Maybe the source was incorrect, I honestly cannot remember something I’ve had on record for many years, sounded a bit like them, but the text was genuine....shall I delete it?

Maybe the source was incorrect, I honestly cannot remember something I’ve had on record for many years, sounded a bit like them, but the text was genuine....shall I delete it?

Please don’t delete. I will explain why I think the timeline is wrong and it will add to the story. I will also add an interesting clip from 1876 concerning the Improvement Committee.

Not sure if the magazine referred to is Birmingham Faces & Places, which was one of those magazines which came in parts but was meant to be kept and bound. If so then the first six volumes, up to 1894, are available from the Midland historical data site on a dvd. It implies there that the magazine then ceased publication, but perhaps not

165609FD-88D2-47B6-8204-21FB3C0D402A.jpeg E09AEE97-90C7-43CC-A78E-8A63D7715AC4.jpeg 3C204CD2-F86F-4257-A117-F1B7B67E438C.jpeg ED4A5511-5D85-4CD1-8892-AD0B016CEE98.jpeg

If the article was dated 1876 it would fit in with the clips from the Birmingham Daily Post of Oct 1876 where Councillor White addresses on the Improvement Scheme. It looks like he had been elected three years before and was a mate of Joe Chamberlain.

Perhaps the most interesting bit is on the 3rd and 4th thumbnails where there are mentions of streets, and a mention of Newtown Row.

In 1879 White gave a lecture on Public Health Past and Present, where he said the reason why Birmingham was a naturally healthy town was the fact that it was situated on a good dry soil which absorbed the moisture.

The Gullett pops up on various threads but I think it's worth it having a thread of its own, being such a notorious place. Here's a drawing (sorry no date) of the smallest shop in Birmingham at the corner with Stafford Street. Looks quite twee, with a gentleman discussing his hat cleaning needs with Mr Jones the hat maker. Never judge a book by its cover ....

Not sure what the lady to the left in the shadows is up to, but she seems to be carrying something heavy (a basket of goods ?) on her back. Viv.

View attachment 125939
My Thompson ancestors were in the Gullet in 1841 having moved from Lichfield, I note the proximity to Lichfield Street which may explain how they settled there. This is the 'nicest' illustration I have seen of the Gullett, do you know where it came from or have any more info!

Back