• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Grid Project – In The Footsteps Of Phyllis…

Thanks Viv. A node in this context is a point in the city that’s a focus point for people or activity. A place where paths cross, people meet and is iconic in character. Aston Cross, Five Ways and Six ways Erdington are I my opinion all good nodes as is the bull in New Street station.

I chose the bull by the Rotunda as both are iconic objects and places where paths cross and people meet.

I am quite a fan of the Birmingham bulls and how the New Street bull was portrayed in the games.

Got it ! Good idea.

Spent quite a but of time browsing the various sections.

A bit off Brum topic, but lovely to see Piece Hall, Halifax is included, reminds me of happy times there with my mum - browsing the little shops when the place was just starting to find a new use. A wonderful old building, where it's easy to imagine the 1700s bustling trade of cloth 'pieces'

Got it ! Good idea.

Spent quite a but of time browsing the various sections.

A bit off Brum topic, but lovely to see Piece Hall, Halifax is included, reminds me of happy times there with my mum - browsing the little shops when the place was just starting to find a new use. A wonderful old building, where it's easy to imagine the 1700s bustling trade of cloth 'pieces'
Its nice that Halifax managed to hang onto so many old buildings so its nice when you come across images of places from your childhood past like this. I like seeing images of King Hall Market, like you a place I would spend time with my mum.

This looks really interesting Mort and I shall be looking at it later today.

Viv, I was listening to a podcast the other day and they mentioned 'Mole Days' where you visit places you knew and enjoyed as a as a child. The 'Mole' is apparently from Wind in the Willows and this is what he did - I shall definitely be adopting the phrase!

Viv, I was listening to a podcast the other day and they mentioned 'Mole Days' where you visit places you knew and enjoyed as a as a child. The 'Mole' is apparently from Wind in the Willows and this is what he did - I shall definitely be adopting the phrase!
That’s interesting Pen, I think we all have lots of places like that. Place attachment is quite powerful and will bond us to certain places. A little spot I love is Wetton Mill in Staffordshire. I am also quite fond of the area around Great Charles Street by the old Phillip Harris Building and St Pauls Square. Gas Street Basin holds a lot of childhood memory’s too.

Don't you find that someone has been in and knocked it down?

Back